VT President Charles Steger Stepping Down

Steger...

"Since becoming president in 2000, the university has increased its research portfolio by more than 300 percent, grown enrollment from 27,869 to 31,087, increased graduate enrollment increased by 12 percent, raised more than $1 billion in private funding, added more than 2.5 million square feet of buildings, formed a school of bio-medical engineering, created a school of medicine, and joined the Atlantic Coast Conference in athletics."

Have to confess that I did not care much for him at all during my days as an undergrad in the College of Architecture, but I am impressed by his overall body of work as President of the Polytechnic Institute. His tenure coincided with some of the most significant events in Tech history, and I think he struck an appropriate tenor with his words and actions.

I applaud the work of President Steger as he transitions out. He moved our school forward academically, and showed great leadership during one of the toughest times a university could face.