Bluefield 2013

PioneerPA

So what's the word on Bluefield? I know the Beavers had a young corps of skill players with Edwards, Leggett, and Stewart, a potential beast in training in Coppola, but most of the linemen last year were seniors.

Haven't heard much from the Beaver fans this offseason. Just curious how things are looking there. Can't wait for the November trip to Mitchell Stadium...great setting for football.

BDT article about the first day.

(warning, stupid auto-video playing and pop-unders)

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x1664878603/Day-1-arrives-for-prep-football-teams

From the article, Bluefield has 57 players out. No mention of the prominent player who is apparently not there.

g000258000000000000b389c93d17d2ed6ffa25549ff720d29f709e8994.jpg

Pretty sure it wasn't something they were going to offer up voluntarily and I would say the BDT reporter probably didn't know to ask...

Thanks guys. There's still enough talent at Bluefield to make a run. That was the best offense Wayne saw all season, and the only one to score a legit TD against the starting D. Both will be making changes upfront so that's a push for now. That game in November could have a lot riding on it.

Yes it's a sad situation and I hope if true the kid gets his act together. I just can't get over how stupid some of these kids can be. I was there for the ending few moments of the first day and I don't remember seeing the kid out there.

O-line and defense will once again be the key for Bluefield this season regardless. Just won't know until the season starts what they have to offer in that department, which could be another reason why it has been so quiet around here.

I noted in another thread (the one about the new Gmen football website) that Graham was posting the weight room records. They seemed impressive, I wondered then how it compared to Bluefield, for example. Bluefield never seems to be lacking in speed, but it does appear that they get pushed around some on the line.

Any idea how strong these kids are? Last year had a decent size offensive line, but each year, there seem to be some 170-180 pound kids in starting positions. Hard to question it, but I do wonder why there's a lack of size on the OL.

Article in the BDT about Bluefield, specifically the OL. Sounds like they're starting mostly fresh, with Cody Gore (5'10" 245) penciled in at one guard. Lots of young guys listed for the other slots, but most of them are pretty big, at least going by last year's weights.

Reference is http://www.bdtblitz.com/teams/?id=2

T: Christian Russo (5'11 225), Justin Lightfoot (6'0" 195), Jordan George (6'4" 300)

G: Cody Gore (5'10" 245), D.J. Sims (5'11" 225)

C: Matthew Belcher (6'0" 285), Skylar Dillow (6'2' 260)

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x125816979/Whats-my-line

g000258000000000000b9ea223c4c49d831e221045dfa691b3a4bc992c3.jpg

One bad thing with the inexperience at line is Freddy's no contact practice. I don't know if that's a good idea to keep it that way when a lot of these guys need full speed and full contact to get ready. If it doesn't change then these boys will only have limited time in 2 scrimmages in which they saw full contact before their first game.

• 2 weeks later...