From Will Stewart's "Reflections on Commonwealth Cup 2013"

GMan

Mike London has returned the Virginia football program to Dick Bestwick-ian levels of losing. Bestwick was Virginia’s coach from 1976-1981, compiling a record of 16-49-1, a monument to losing that was spoiled by a 6-5 record in 1979. Other than that, Bestwick went 10-44-1. He ended 1981 by going 1-10, the last time, until now, that Virginia lost ten games in a season.

Ironically, Bestwick’s only win in 1981 was against VMI. London’s last win, nine games ago, was against VMI.

Let that sink in.

Everything that George Welsh accomplished at Virginia has been undone. It took the Cavaliers 13 seasons, one mediocre coach (Al Groh), and one bad coach (London), but they have officially unraveled what Welsh did in 19 years at Virginia.

At West Virginia, the house that Don Nehlen built and which RichRod refurbished has been reduced to a 4-8 season that included a season-ending home loss to 3-9 Iowa State. WVU is 11-14 in their last 25 games, including a 6-12 mark in the Big 12.

Down at Florida, Will Muschamp has apparently been promoted to his level of incompetence. The Gators went 4-8 this year, losing their last seven games. It’s their first losing season since 1979, a span of 34 years. (That’s a really long time.) Their bowl streak of 22 straight, started in 1991, is over.

There’s carnage everywhere in college football. I don’t want to get preachy, but 8-4 looks pretty good.

I don't know.  I feel weird about taking solace in other's failings, especially when we had two bad losses against BC and Maryland.  This was a team that showed great promise, but lacked any sort of consistency (and that's putting it lightly).  I'm not exactly arguing that we under-performed considering I thought we'd win about six games, but after we started the season 6-1, I think many VT fans' expectations changed for good reason.  

Either way, bring on the Sun Bowl!  El Paso!!  WHO'S EXCITED?!

I always though George Welsh was a very good coach.  He did a great job at Navy before going to UVA.  I wonder how many Hoo fans would love to have him back now...