Geno vs Vick

mavsgrad

I was just curious what some of your thoughts might be on the impending QB competition between Geno Smith and Michael Vick??

I for one am certainly not sold that Geno will be a solid starter in the NFL over the long haul but both his coach and his stats seemed to indicate that he did improve as the season went along last year. He had 10 total TD's (passing and rushing) and 13 Int's during the first half of the season and had 8 total TD's and 8 Int's during the second half of the season.

I really don't understand why NY brought in Vick. While he is one of the most athletic and dynamic players football has ever seen, he, unlike Geno, has a proven track record and it indicates that he can't stay healthy and he is very inconsistent as a pocket passer. I don't think he or NY fans will be content for him to simply backup Geno but if history is any indication even if he wins the starter job, he probably won't stay healthy all season and Geno will be back on the field anyway.

My take is that NY brought in Vick for hype and headlines, kind of like bringing in Tebow a few years back. I think this move will only serve to put more pressure on Geno, which isn't beneficial to the team. And while it remains to be seen if Geno can be a solid starter in the NFL, I think there is no question that Vick won't be reliable as a productive QB over the long haul. Not really sure what the Jets are thinking.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

I think its a great move! Vick will probably play 12-14 full games and miss parts of others. Smith will get playing time but wont have the pressure of starting and performing week in week out. Smith will have time to develop. In 2 years Smith will be the starter and Vick will retire and for now the Jets get better. Imo its one of the better FA moves so far. Obviously Smith was not ready to start last season and Vick will win a couple of games for NYJ.

for what its worth I wouldnt have drafted Smith any higher than the 3rd round. Nothing I hate more in the NFL than "we need a QB so were gonna draft this guy a couple of rounds above his grade" its just stupid imo

From what I understand, the Jets were wanting a good veteran QB to back up Geno Smith and to teach and guide (as well as push) him. Vick will get playing time, but they are betting it all on Geno and looking for Vick to push him to be a better QB. It won't be so much as competing for the starting job. I also like this move. Sanchez needed to go and since they put so much into Geno, they might as well try some things out to make him better. If he really doesn't work out, they still have Vick to play until they can figure something else out.