Ridgeview @ Central

VFL

19 minutes ago, VFL said:

I didn't realize central was this bad. They may have some of the worst db's I have ever seen. 

That and the inability to move the football with the exception of some luck every now and then. Gonna be a rough year.

On 9/8/2023 at 10:56 PM, sup_rbeast said:

Agree 100%. Would also help from time to time  to line up the CBs just inside enough pre-snap to discourage the slant, and close enough to deny the little hitches you see teams just give up every play. Make the QB throw the ball over the CB with safety help over the top. Some high school QBs are accurate, but you can still make it harder for them to throw the ball. CBs have to be 2 of the best athletes on the field, so use ‘em like they are.

Yes, Sir!  Best athletes on the field....if not, you aren't playing the right kids in the right positions. I'm also a fan of blitz packages with the DBs as well.  There are certain situations where you can roll your S over and blitz the CB to a zone (mesh point, etc.) and I like this against running plays.  I thought RV should have done this against Graham (and Clements).  With the Wildcat this is a good concept that can take away an edge run and funnel back to the middle.  

You are absolutely right, USE YOUR BEST ATHLETES AS DEFENSIVE WEAPONS!!

1 hour ago, onewarrior2 said:

That and the inability to move the football with the exception of some luck every now and then. Gonna be a rough year.

It is going to be a long year for the Warrior fans.  I was shocked at how far they've fallen off defensively.  Defensively, they have to take something away from the opponent....either the run or pass.  They seemed to do neither.  

34 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

It is going to be a long year for the Warrior fans.  I was shocked at how far they've fallen off defensively.  Defensively, they have to take something away from the opponent....either the run or pass.  They seemed to do neither.  

Unfortunately you are right, me may knock off Grundy later in the season but that will be it for us.

5 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Yes, Sir!  Best athletes on the field....if not, you aren't playing the right kids in the right positions. I'm also a fan of blitz packages with the DBs as well.  There are certain situations where you can roll your S over and blitz the CB to a zone (mesh point, etc.) and I like this against running plays.  I thought RV should have done this against Graham (and Clements).  With the Wildcat this is a good concept that can take away an edge run and funnel back to the middle.  

You are absolutely right, USE YOUR BEST ATHLETES AS DEFENSIVE WEAPONS!!

If your CBs can both cover and run with the WRs, it opens up a world of possibilities with the other 9 defenders, especially the front 7 or 8. It gives you the luxury to bring a lot more heat to the QB and RBs. Every week you see kids playing a position they aren’t best suited for. You see it a lot locally with OLBs with little to no coverage skills. Those aren’t OLBs, those are DEs. Your OLBs have to be able to run to cover flats and occasionally man to man. It’s blown my mind for years how defenses have quit challenging the offense to beat them, and instead just give up yardage hoping to bend but not break, when they could get up in the face of the offensive players and make them earn their yardage. Every inch should be fought for…not every inch after a 5 yard completion you’ve given them. It drives me nuts to watch it. The excuse you always hear is that they don’t want to give up the big play. If that’s the case put guys in there who can run with the receivers and not give up the big play. It doesn’t matter what their name is or who their family is, either. Put your best 11 on D and if they have to rest, rest ‘em when your offense is on the field.