Rural Retreat at George Wythe

KW23

Rural Retreat is its own worst enemy by filling a very difficult schedule. Non-district opponents are Fort Chiswell, Eastern Montgomery, Grayson County, George Wythe, Lebanon. Add a competitive Hogo district schedule and the only gimmes are East Mont and Northwood. I understand you want to be challenged but this is a bit more than challenged. I feel for Coach Hughes and his team because kids want to win and multiple losing seasons could discourage some kids from coming out. Just my opinion which means very little. Rural Retreat has a good team but could very well finish anywhere from 2-8 to 4-6 and miss the playoffs again.

Agreed and then u have these teams that fill up there schedules with nothing but cupcakes and guaranteed to make playoffs.  Rural retreat will have to win some of these 50/50 games if they want to make playoffs they should have beaten fort chiswell... They lost from a flooky fumble kick return on beginning of game and in the 2ND Qtr they had ball on 1 yard line. And instead of getting under center and just running it in they stayed in shotgun for 3 straight plays and didn't score.  If they score there or that opening kick return didn't happen they beat fort chiswell.  But that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

Your supposed to get better after a bye week.  Indians got worse.  Offense is abysmal only points was on kick return for TD.  Our QB tried but offensive line gave him no time to throw... Poor guy took a beating.  Offensive scheme is just so boring and vanilla and dont see the potential for improvement unless some new stuff is thrown in which I doubt.  Gwythe was first class they always helped our guys back up after tackles or hits on our QB.  With that said they didn't impress me all that much I think our defense just wore down after being on the field entire game.  Game was 9 to 0 at half.  We returned the 2ND half kickoff to make it 9 to 6 and missed extra pt which we are known for this season.  Extra pts are so iffy I would always go for 2 the rest of the season.  In fact it didn't end up mattering but at the time I was hoping we would have gone for 2... BC if it could have been 9 to 8 and gwythe scored again it would still be a one score game.  And if we held gwythe scoreless the rest of the game if we dont have an extra pt kicker we dont have a FG kicker so kicking the extra pt was pointless.  Anyways enough of my ranting on here.  Sorry I waisted your time whomever read this. Whomever said they were sorry for Hughes I wouldn't  feel sorry for Hughes he has been at school forever you think rural retreat could have turned it around by now or at least got a Blandish type schedule for nonconference games to at least make it appear like things were headed in the right direction.