PowerPoint question

KW23

What if 2 teams are tied in PowerPoint at end of year? Who gets higher playoff seed.  Same? But What if 3 teams are tied?.  Also does wins vs a team like Jenkins KY count in PowerPoints? Or no since they are a freelance team?  Thanks!

Assuming you are talking about the regional and not the state level. Go to VHSL website and download or view the VHSL handbook and scroll to page 132. VHSL has specific rules for semifinal games and who hosts if there's a tie between two different regions like Radford in C and Union in D.

For games 1, 2, and 3, the regionals/not the state level, the VHSL defers to each individual region on how they seed and settle tiebreakers and who makes playoffs, so the answer you are looking for is specific for the Region you are asking about and most regions do it similar or the same, but there are differences in how they settle tiebreakers.

If my math is correct and games play out like I think Rural Retreat and Grundy will be tied in total PowerPoint so I was wondering who would get higher seed in region 1d.

14 minutes ago, KW23 said:

If my math is correct and games play out like I think Rural Retreat and Grundy will be tied in total PowerPoint so I was wondering who would get higher seed in region 1d.

So, your question is specific to Region 1D and how 1D decides their tiebreakers which could be different than other regions.  Here's how most Regions do it.  This isn't a given but it's how most regions do it.

Head to head?  Who won if the two played.  If they didn't play, then Common opponents?  Who had the best records against common opponents?  I think both only had one common opponent and that was P. Henry and both won.

If the 2 above don't settle it, then here is where it starts to get weird and is really region specific and this is where regions differ, and the answer really boils down to Region 1D's methods.. They get into things like whether either team won their district and if not, did either team finish second place, what are the average power ratings of all the teams they played, what is the overall record of both Rural Retreat and Grundy, what is the power rating for Rural Retreat and Grundy against only Class 1 schools, power rating against schools in Virginia only, etc.  Each region does have a plan before the season starts.  The coaches/AD's have agreed on a method before the season starts on how teams are seeded for the playoffs and settling of tiebreakers.  This is not something they do at the end of the regular season when the moment comes.

Gotcha thanks for your help... Wish I knew what 1d decided LOL... I like how Virginia PowerPoint work.... NC has some garbage based computer RPI system with guaranteed 1 seeds for terrible teams that finish first in split 1a 2a conferences... Wish NC would adopt a system like VA

1 hour ago, KW23 said:

Last question does wins vs free lance teams like Jenkins KY count in powerpoints... Thought I saw somewhere where they dont

Jenkins is classified as Class 1 according to the VHSL master schedule. When teams in VA play out of state schools, the VHSL gets the student population of that out of state school and classifies them Class1 through Class 6 for power rating purposes so they do count, but one catch.

For tiebreakers, if the tiebreaker isn't settled with the normal priority things like head to head, record against common opponents, etc, as the tiebreaker decisions move on down the list, and one of the final ways to break the tiebreaker is by taking the two teams power rating for Virgina schools only and disgarding the Non VHSL schools. This usually occurs way down the list and tiebreakers are usually resolved before reaching this point. 

If Union and Radford tie in power rating, Radford has a slight advantage because if all things are equal and Union/Radford kept moving down the list of tiebreaker decisions and its still not solved, then one of the final ways is Union's power ranking against VA opponents only and Science Hill would be thrown out, and that would put Radford ahead.

KW23, here is a cut and past of the VHSL Handbook.  I highlighted some important parts you might be interested in.

68-4-8 Regional Playoff Representation-There shall be four regions for each classification consisting of no more than 8 playoff teams in each region.

(1) District champions will not automatically advance to the regional playoff s. All
ties, including seeding ties, between or among any teams eligible to participate in the regional
play-off series shall be resolved by applying the following provisions in the order listed:

(a) The Rating Scale-Considering all regular season games played against
public and non-public Virginia schools

(b) The winner of any games between the two tied teams if only the tied
teams are involved. If more than two teams tied, and one of the tied teams beat all other
tied teams, that team shall advance.
(c) The team with the better record against all common opponents.
(d) A team that played an opponent with an effective nine (9) game schedule
(non-recognized opponent, i.e., home school or out-of-state non-public school, or inability
to schedule/play a 10th game) shall be seeded ahead of a school whose opponents play 10
game schedules
(e) Schools that played an opponent with nine-game schedules shall be
seeded ahead of opponents who played 10-game schedules.

(f) The team with the highest winning percentage against rating scale-
recognized opponents.

(g) The team with the higher average rating of all of each team's opponents.
(h) The team with the higher average rating of all of each team's VHSL
public and VHSL non-public school opponents.

(i) The regional chairman, or his/her alternate if his/her school is involved,
shall draw by lot to determine the playoff representative.
(j) The group chairman or vice chairman if the chairman's school is involved,
shall draw by lot to determine the playoff representative. Should both the group chair and
vice chair be involved in the tie the group secretary would oversee the process.
(2) The rating scale will be used to determine the regional representation.
(3) Seeding for the regional playoff would be based solely upon the final power
ratings.
(4) A region may opt to bracket its football championship in two four-team sections.

58-4-10 State Semifinal and Championship Seeding Ties-All ties between state
semifiinal and championship teams shall be resolved by applying the following provisions in
the order listed:

(a) The Rating Scale-Considering all regular season games played against public
and non-public Virginia schools and scheduled in accordance with the provisions of 68-4-6.
(b) The winner of any games between the two tied teams if only the tied teams are
involved. If more than two teams tied, and one of the tied teams beat all other tied teams,
that team shall host.
(c) The team with the better record against all common opponents.

(d) A team that played an opponent with an eff ective nine (9) game schedule (non-
recognized opponent, i.e., home school or out-of-state non-public school, or inability to

schedule/play a 10th game) shall be seeded ahead of a school whose opponents play 10
game schedules.
(e) Schools that played an opponent with nine-game schedules shall be seeded
ahead of opponents who played 10-game schedules.
(f) The team with the highest winning percentage against rating scale recognized
opponents.
(g) The team with the higher average rating of all of each team's opponents.
(h) The team with the higher average rating of all of each team's VHSL public and
VHSL non-public school opponents.
(i) The team with the higher seed.
(j) The team at the top of the bracket as posted on the VHSL website.

Regions VERY RARELY change how the Handbook says to do it.

No 1/2 C/D team plays a school that doesn't count. The only school that doesn't count 10 games is Bland.

Tiebreakers nutshelled :

1. beat all other teams tied with
2. better record against all common opponents
3. any opponent had an effective 9 game schedule
      (this basically means 9 games for ratings purposes) 
4. highest winning percentage against rating scale-recognized opponents
      (more commonly called best overall record)
5. highest average rating of all opponents
6. highest average rating of VHSL opponents 
7. draw by lots by the Regional chair or Group chair or Group secretary