Playoff Droughts in 1A and 2A

Hokie Bound

I remember the days of 9-1 and 8-2 football teams playing ten games and sitting at the house come playoff time. I always thought that was somewhat unfair. Now almost everyone and their brother makes the playoffs with eight teams from each region qualifying. Teams almost have to try to not make the playoffs now. Eight seems like too many teams get in. Four teams would make the playoffs more meaningful and competitive. No automatic bids for winning your dictrict (yes a team would still be district champs and the pride that goes with it). Just simply take the top four teams on the points rating scale and start the playoffs. Now a quick question to those who keep track of the past. Which teams in 1A and 2A have the longest playoff droughts in SWVA? I'm guessing everyone has made the playoffs in the past ten years.

9 minutes ago, Hokie Bound said:

I remember the days of 9-1 and 8-2 football teams playing ten games and sitting at the house come playoff time. I always thought that was somewhat unfair. Now almost everyone and their brother makes the playoffs with eight teams from each region qualifying. Teams almost have to try to not make the playoffs now. Eight seems like too many teams get in. Four teams would make the playoffs more meaningful and competitive. No automatic bids for winning your dictrict (yes a team would still be district champs and the pride that goes with it). Just simply take the top four teams on the points rating scale and start the playoffs. Now a quick question to those who keep track of the past. Which teams in 1A and 2A have the longest playoff droughts in SWVA? I'm guessing everyone has made the playoffs in the past ten years.

It was uncool in my opinion when a 9-1 football team and an 8-2 football team didn't make the playoffs. It's equally uncool when a team that is 3-7 or 2-8 makes the playoffs in today's time.  My very own Giles Spartans don't deserve the playoffs this year, but looks like we get the 8th seed ( I think, don't know for sure, have not looked at it).  The sweet spot is 6.  First two teams get a bye in round one, and have 3 through 6 play each other.  This will eliminate Most of the undeserving teams (not all, still will not be perfect, but will eliminate most of the non deserving teams) and it still covers for the 8-2 or 7-3 teams that need to be in the playoffs.  Just my opinions.  Why do we allow 8 in instead of 6?  Well, Bill Idol sang about it in the 80's, except he left out the "E" in the song.

18 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

It was uncool in my opinion when a 9-1 football team and an 8-2 football team didn't make the playoffs. It's equally uncool when a team that is 3-7 or 2-8 makes the playoffs in today's time.  My very own Giles Spartans don't deserve the playoffs this year, but looks like we get the 8th seed ( I think, don't know for sure, have not looked at it).  The sweet spot is 6.  First two teams get a bye in round one, and have 3 through 6 play each other.  This will eliminate Most of the undeserving teams (not all, still will not be perfect, but will eliminate most of the non deserving teams) and it still covers for the 8-2 or 7-3 teams that need to be in the playoffs.  Just my opinions.  Why do we allow 8 in instead of 6?  Well, Bill Idol sang about it in the 80's, except he left out the "E" in the song.

Six would definitely be a good number. I think the region in which Riverheads is in allows six and gives the top two byes. 1vs 8 and 2vs 7 are usually blowouts. Giving the top 2 teams byes would have 3 vs 6 and 4vs 5 which would be much more entertaining and competitive games. I just feel like 8 teams water down the playoffs and don't mean as much for making them.

Will always think that the top 4 in the Region should be it.  VH$L runs each division one extra week($) and makes bank.  There's always an exception somewhere, but sub-.500 teams shouldn't be in the post-season.  Soft scheduling is/becomes an issue.  Make the districts/conferences 6-8 teams so scheduling within the region(s) between the districts might carry a little more weight.  Don't reward(+2) for playing down a division.  At least schedule a respectable opponent that is in the hunt most often.  Points for beating a 1A team shouldn't be near the same as your own 2A division.  If I were 2A looking for a good game to schedule that's not within the region, I'm looking at who's in neighboring districts/regions and most often playing in late November to maybe get on the schedule regardless of division.