Abingdon/VA High

F@lcon

Big crowd at Abingdon for this quad.   Abingdon girls started a little slow but came out the second half and ran away with the game.   Abingdons transition game is very good.   The half court offense is definitely more efficient when the play is ran through Trivette.  It just doesn't work when individuals try to play one on one.   

The boys game was a great one to watch.   Va High came out with the speed and Abingdon was caught a little off guard.   After trailing by 10+ for most of the game,  Abingdon was able to rally back to tie it up.   The controversy came on a last second shot attempt by Va High.   Mooney calls a foul against Abingdon on a shot at the buzzer.   They give Va High 2 shots but say their is no time on the clock so players can't be present.   The shot did release before the buzzer but if a foul occurs, their has to be some amount of time on the clock, even if it's 0.1 second.   If clock is at 0, the foul isn't legit.   Refs said no time but gave them free throws.   Even having the players line up on the lane brings more tension for the shot so that became a major issue.   

Side note:

Va High officials need to really work with their team on how to handle themselves.   Their was a lot of trash taking throughout the game from both sides.   I get it,  that's competitive nature to an extent.   But, after the game, the players were yelling and making gestures toward our student section and to fans in the stands.   Nfhs cameras should show that well.  An assistant coach also was heard yelling obscenities at a fan while heading to the locker room. 

Gotta learn how to act when you lose and learn how to act when you  win

7 hours ago, F@lcon said:

Side note:

Va High officials need to really work with their team on how to handle themselves.   Their was a lot of trash taking throughout the game from both sides.   I get it,  that's competitive nature to an extent.   But, after the game, the players were yelling and making gestures toward our student section and to fans in the stands.   Nfhs cameras should show that well.  An assistant coach also was heard yelling obscenities at a fan while heading to the locker room. 

Gotta learn how to act when you lose and learn how to act when you  win

True, but it sounds like Abingdon should also practice what it preaches. For a school that's been all about sportsmanship, I didn't see a lot of it on display including from AHS fans. I wonder what the fan said to initiate the assistant coach's response. Knowing most of the VHS coaches I doubt it was a coach randomly yelling at a fan without justification. I also wonder what obsenitites were coming from the falcon student section. I doubt they were saying nice things to the Bearcats all night. Its okay to point fingers but usually they end up pointing back in your direction. 

Not sure what the fan said but a school employee has to be better than that.   Abingdons principal and security can be seen blocking the student section from doing anything while the VA High players kept trying to rile things up.   There was no coaches or school officials making any effort to restrain Bearcat players and that's where the problem lies.   Kids are kids and need guidance to be better.   Even the handshake line had Bearcat players mouthing off to players and even to coaches from Abingdon.   Leave all that on the floor and be humble after the buzzer.