Abingdon/Central girls game

Saw this game last night.  It was a tight battle all game long.  Abingdon went ahead early in the 4th quarter but just can't get over the hurdle to beat Robin Dotson.  To beat Wise, you have to get the lead and hold it at the end.  If you let them go ahead, they are practically unbeatable.  McCamis is going to get the ball every time down the stretch and she hit all her free throws.  The team matchups are pretty even.  Both teams have 3 starters very comparable to each other.  After that, I think If Abingdon could get 1-2 more players to step up and be a factor then they could break the cycle.  Central definitely has the coaching edge.  Dotson is the best coach in SWVA and he knows how to work the officials to get the officiating edge when needed.  That's 3-0 against Abingdon for Central this season.  It's a good bet that they see each other again in a few weeks.

Central got almost every call after McAmis picked up a foul near half court and Dotson started working the refs.  The officials in this area are obviously intimidated by him.  

the officials didn't impact this game in my opinion,  Abingdon just isn't good enough to beat Central!!!!  basketball intelligence and understanding how to play the game are more important than any talent and this is where Central dominates abingdon!! this stands out in coaching more than anything!!

43 minutes ago, Observer said:

Central got almost every call after McAmis picked up a foul near half court and Dotson started working the refs.  The officials in this area are obviously intimidated by him.  

Maybe the TSSAA refs won't be so intimidated on Monday when Central comes to the TAC... I can only hope anyway.  Lol

Ben Campbell was Dotsons puppet in this one.   And Jeter made 2 calls that got changed because Campbell and Crocket were standing in front of Dotson listening to him.   Then they run over and change the calls. 

I'll see Central both Saturday and Monday (against Ridgeview and Dobyns-Bennett).  Ridgeview has had more success against Central than anyone, but that was with Frazier coaching.  Will be interesting to see if Robinette can have that same kind of success.

I wasn't at the game but if Abingdon couldn't beat Central when they had future D1 players Grace Hess and Peyton Carter, future D2 players Taylor Gilbert and Emily Breeding, and two future D2 volleyball players in Cassie Farley and Mattie Gibson all on the same team, then they are NEVER going to beat them. I think that Central team may have had one or two D2 players on it at most back then. 

On 1/24/2024 at 10:16 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Maybe the TSSAA refs won't be so intimidated on Monday when Central comes to the TAC... I can only hope anyway.  Lol

D-B dominated Central from start to finish and won 53-45.  Led by as many as 16.  McAmis ended up being the leading scorer with Looney but was held to only two in the first half, both from the free throw line and was 0-12 from the field.

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

D-B dominated Central from start to finish and won 53-45.  Led by as many as 16.  McAmis ended up being the leading scorer with Looney but was held to only two in the first half, both from the free throw line and was 0-12 from the field.

You mean the TSSAA refs weren't catering to Dotson? 😂

14 minutes ago, jwgarrett20 said:

You mean the TSSAA refs weren't catering to Dotson? 😂

Exactly

They must not be intimidated by his antics like swva area officials.  I have heard 3 different refs comment that they hate doing central games and try to avoid his side of the floor.   

10 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Abingdon isn’t great. They let a mediocre at best Union girls squad hang around for the entire game. 

McAmis ain’t going 0-12 very often, I think they’d love another crack at DB

They beat us at their barn by 5 earlier in the season.  So, we split the season series.  It's hard to win games out of state.  Different style of officiating.  Looney is the one who really did the damage to us in both games.  I think playing West Ridge between the two meetings with Central helped us quite a bit.  West Ridge has two 6'3 girls and a 6'4.