Richlands @ Graham Pictures are up!!!

BigD4VT

I made some major changes in my work flow. First, I didn't keep as many shots as usual because I think the ones I did keep are good enough that I don't need the "fillers" I usually have.

Second, I'm now doing both color and black & white versions of almost all images. A few are just one or the other though.

Third, The pictures of posted to www.bigdphoto.smugmug.com up until now have only been available in the aspect ratio of the original crop but after much research and experimentation I have settled on an aspect ratio that will allow most print sizes with minimal cropping. The exception is the wide angle shot that must use the 3:2 ratio (4x6, 8x12 etc.)

All the galleries that were there prior to today have been removed and will be replaced with the new aspect ratio. The plan is to post at least three full galleries per week.

Next week's gallery should be very big. I plan to capture as much as possible of the playoff/road trip atmosphere plus I will get many more action shots with this being the first daylight game for the Blues.

DSC_3849_A_0234.jpg

This is some of the Tornado parents who, among many other things, set up the helmet the Blues run out of before every game. These guys work hard behind the scenes and deserve a big thank you from everyone who loves Richlands football.

DSC_4050_A_1020.jpg

Keeping with the group photo theme, this is none other than the infamous "Blueneck Nation". These folks are loud and proud and it would serve the Blues well if the rest of the fans followed their lead!

DSC_3876_B_1234.jpg

I'm posting this one to show that the band does in fact care about the football team. A lot of those cool chants you heard Friday night were started by the three guys you see here. The funny looking one on the left happens to be my nephew.

DSC_3923_A_0230.jpg

There is a current thread about "Big Hits" and I think this one from Shane Wicks is one of the biggest.

These next two are something I wish I had done earlier in the year. The idea was to focus on a cheerleader who was standing still and use a slow shutter speed to allow the players to blur as they ran across the viewfinder. It turned out okay but I wish I had gone with my initial instinct of 1/15 of a second instead of changing to 1/60 at the very last second, but oh well, I'll know how to get it right next year.

DSC_3880_A_1234.jpg

DSC_3884_B_1234.jpg

The last one I'll post here is Cody Vandyke. This has to be the nicest kid on earth... yet plenty mean on the football field. The last shot I made after one of the games happened to be of him... then the next week the last shot also happened to be of him... So now, being the superstitious person that I am, we make sure the last shot is of him. If you look back through the galleries you'll find the he was the last picture for at least the past six games.

DSC_4051_B_1234.jpg

The rest are at www.wric.net/bigd4vt and will be on www.bigdphoto.smugmug.com in a couple hours.

There will be a lot of pictures this week. I bought two more memory cards doubling my capacity from 2gb to 4gb. Not only will the daylight allow me to take more action pictures, but I can get all the crowd, band and cheerleader shots that were so hard at night.

Just an update about my smugmug site. Two galleries, Richlands @ Gate City and the Smurf Championship are almost finished and should be up before, or around the same time as the Hidden Valley pictures. Sorry about the ones I took down but I think it's better if people are able to choose the sizes they want rather than being locked into one crop. They will all be back up soon.