My thoughts on Bluefield/Weir

Bluefield_Rules

I’ll start by saying that the Weir High School Red Riders have one helluva a football team. They never quit, play with heart, and are very talented. The only team Bluefield has played this season that might be better would be Graham. I know the loss was especially hard on those kids just as it would have been Bluefield if they had lost. Many of their players dropped where they stood when Beaver recovered the fumble and lay on the field for many minutes out of sheer exhaustion and disappointment. Weir has an outstanding team, outstanding fans that traveled a long ways to be there Saturday, and have absolutely nothing to be ashamed. The Weir coaching staff called a beautiful game and took advantage of their height advantage with #5. They gave Bluefield everything they wanted and then some. I honestly felt Bluefield was going to lose this game in the second half. I hope Weir had a safe return to Weirton and best of luck in the future. This was truly one of the greatest playoff games in the history of WV and I’m glad I could be there to witness it regardless of how gut wrenching the second half was. This game will be talked about a long-time in the Bluefields and it should be. My hat off to Weir on an outstanding game.

Bluefield played with the heart of a champion down the stretch, making the plays when all seemed lost. The Chris Martin interception in the endzone in the fourth to halt what looked like the Weir go-ahead score as he out leaped a kid that had four inches on him to steal the ball away and stay in bounds. David Perdue’s miracle fourth down touchdown catch in OT, in which he caught, was seemed like an uncatchable ball, with one hand and stayed in bounds. The defense stepping up to shut down Weir four straight possessions deep in Bluefield territory late in the 4th and force OT. I honestly believe Bluefield had a little help from above from some of those people this town has lost in recent months that meant so much to so many. Weir seemed to control the game in the second half and things didn't look good for Bluefield it seemed. The Beavers showed a lot of character and heart to keep fighting and get the win. Bluefield is marching into the semi-finals and it feels dang good; they EARNED it Saturday.

I'll also mention that sportsmanship showed following the game was outstanding. Those two teams fought as hard as any two teams could for four quarter and two overtimes, but yet when it was over shook hands and wished one another well. I saw Weir coaches going up to individual Bluefield players shaking their hands, talking to them, and I saw even a couple of hugs exchanged. Many of the Bluefield players went over to the Weir players that collapsed, heartbroken in the endzone after the game ended, patted them on the back, and wished them well. It was a tough game to lose and Weir showed a lot of class after losing. It's what high school football should be all about and it's ashame we don't see that type of sportsmanship and class more often.

This was one HELLUVA football game. Allot of emotions in this one. Bluefield coming back several times in the second half against a great football team... Just like BR posted, When it looked like the Beavers back were against the wall, They came through in the clutch situations. This game proved why they are # 1. All I can say is UNBELIEVABLE. shocked.gif Congrats to this Beaver squad.

Also I noticed Weir had 3 coaches going to the press box. Is this normal to have 3 up there... If so how many does Bluefield send up there... Just wondering? Thanks in advance for the info.

i would have to say this has to be one of the best games that bluefield has played in a long time the team showed a lot of heart on sat. congrats to bluefield and good luck in your next game.