The mess at Wheeling Island Stadium

MavsRock

Which 3 hypothetical regular season matchups would you like to see the most?  

1. 1. Which 3 hypothetical regular season matchups would you like to see the most?

• Graham Pualski County
    • Graham Salem
    • Gate City Graham
    • Pulaski County Gate City
    • Bluefield Pulaski County
    • Bluefield Salem
    • Bluefield Gate City
    • Bluefield Blacksburg

I've been extremely busy this week, or I'd have discussed this sooner. I said 3 weeks ago that I thought Bluefield would beat Poca by 15-25 points if they were both at 100%. That wasn't the case Friday. While being from Monroe County, I got some pleasure out of seeing the Beavers lose, I didn't like the way the field was, especially the Saturday mudbath. Common sense says that a grass field won't stand 3 games in those conditions.

Having thought about this, Laidley Field, Marshall Stadium, or Mountaineer Field should host these prestigious games. Last weekend was a disgrace to the state.

More on Bluefield, they should've won the game. They outplayed Poca, and actually had fewer turnovers. I think Kelly Mariotti said it best in a pregame interview "One little mistake can kill you in a game like this" and the 4th quarter fumble did just that. Simon's playcalling wasn't very impressive either. If Hanley hadn't got tangeled up, the bad snap wouldn't have been Simon's scapegoat, and there would be Bluefield people calling for him to be fired. Bluefield will be tough next year, but they got some major positions to fill. That game at Lindside next year could be a good measuring stick wink.gif. Talk to ya'll later.

Most people already know that the head coach of just about every team doesn't call the plays, but since they are the head coach when they allow another coach to make those decisions it's a judgement call on their part, so in the end they are the ones held responsible for anything that goes wrong. I'm not talking about any head coach in particular, I'm just poining out that when you become a head coach you take on the actions of your players and your assistants, so taking the blame for the bad times comes with the job, just as reaping the rewards when you have a successful year comes with the territory.

What I cant figure out is,Bluefield scored on a nice looking 47 trap,and those gaurds did a heck of a job trapping on the end and the cornerback,also the quick 45 dive with Martin was a nice play that they scored on,but who ever was calling the plays failed to go back to those plays that they scored on.I think Bluefield would have had more offence if they would have run those plays more often,Lets face it Poca knew the motion man was going to take them to the ball,and those delay of the game calls,which I dont think in most cases Rusty could have done much about, when he got the play with only 8 or 9 seconds left on playclock,that means he had to get the team out of huddle and go though his entire snap count,some people said why did he call time out,well he never used play clocks and was not used to haveing them,bottom line the plays should have been it earlier.I watched Bluefield all year and those delay calls haunted them all year,and alot of people say Rusty is to blame,I dont agree with that,Rusty played his heart out on both sides of the ball...

Whoever believes that Rusty was/is responsible for the delay-of-game penalties is retarded. Those things fall squarely on the coaching staff for not having its act together. I will say though, the DOGs weren't anywhere near as bad as they were last year...

Your right BR,also did you notice all the confusion in the backfield during the game,I had not seen that much confusion all year on Bluefields formations,It seemed like the players were confused with alot of the formations,I can remember Rusty haveing to take a couple of time outs due to the confusion.

Lemley is a very creative offense coach and I've thought that for quite a few years. The man isn't afraid to take a chance and rarely do you see Poca's offense "playing not to lose" instead of "playing to win." I believe Boyles did a good job most of the season running the Bluefield offense. Anyone was better than that horrible O.C. the Beavers had a season ago. I sat in Wheeling last year and knew 90% of the plays that were coming and who they were going to before the ball was snapped. It was a pathetically called game on the offensive side in 2002 at Wheeling...