Bluefield 89, Mercer Christian 75--FINAL

Bluefield_Rules

This was a fun game to watch with the up and down tempo and good shooting on both sides. Bluefield (11-1) led comfortably throughout by 13-15 points, but MCA, behind the GREAT shooting Ben Shrader, refused to go away until the 4th when Bluefield's depth took its toll. The Beavers built a 20+ point lead with four minutes left and the JV kids finished out the game. I don't have the exact scoring stats, but Bluefield placed four in double figures and guessing I'd say Shrader had close to 40 for MCA.

The Shrader kid is a treat to watch and anyone that hasn't seen him play needs too before the year is over. This is the first time I've seen him since he was a sophomore and he's rounded into a much better player. The kid is the best shooter I've ever seen on this level and that's saying a lot. Bluefield put a hand in his face the entire night and he still drilled shot after shot. He's great at creating his own shot and he doesn't have to get set in order to shot either. I'd take Shrader in a shooting contest against anyone. It's unfortunate he doesn't have much help or else MCA would be a very serious threat in Class A, but with only seven players total and no other consistent scorer they'll be in trouble against better teams. They're a tough nosed team though and I believe they get that from their coach Kevin Shirey. He's done an outstanding job at MCA and I commend him on it.