Graham 77 Tazewell 57

GMan

G-Men bite Bulldogs in SWD opener by 20

By LARRY HYPES

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

TAZEWELL, Va. — Graham bit the Bulldogs 77-57 Friday night in Southwest District action boys action, methodically pulling away in the second half.

An early Tazewell lead melted away underneath a rash of turnovers as the young Bulldogs struggled at times to hold on to the ball.

The G-Men (3-7, 1-0) trailed early but kept up a consistent defense that ultimately wore down Tazewell (2-11, 0-2) with a withering three-guard attack which kept the THS defense off balance.

Five G-Men scored in double digits as Glynn Carlock’s team grabbed its opening district win.

“We played well at times,” noted Carlock, “but I was not completely pleased with our pressure. We get where we need to be, and now we have to get our traps working right.”

After Jared Angles and T. J. Taxley got the Bulldogs off and running to an 18-17 first quarter lead, the G-Men rallied and steadily pulled away. J.D. Hunter’s floor play and 11-of-17 effort at the free throw line, coupled with a sparkling effort from Kevin Thompson and T. J. Carper, kept Graham in control in the second half.

Thompson scored 10, but chipped in with six assists, five rebounds, and seven steals. Carper had 15 points to go along with five assists, six steals, and four deflections.

For Coach Lee Walker’s Bulldogs, Taxley worked hard under the boards and came away leading all scorers with 20 points. Angles added 15 while Darrell Wess notched 10.

“We have to protect the ball,” sighed Walker. “I think we had 32 turnovers. We were often in position to make an offensive play if only we had held on to the ball.

“But we are young, that’s going to happen, and we just have to work our way out of it. I’m not happy with the result but I like the effort. Our guys are going to turn this thing around.”

Graham host Pulaski County tonight while Tazewell is off until Jan. 23 when the Bulldogs travel to Carroll County for a stretch of four games in six days.

GRAHAM (3-7, 1-0)

Kevin Thompson 2 5-7 10, T.J. Carper 7 1-1 15, Steven Brown 4 5-6 13. Jason Palmer 3 1-3 7, Will Cole 1 0-0 3, T.J. Lowery 6 0-0 13. Totals 25 23-34 77.

TAZEWELL (2-11, 0-2)

Jared Angles 5 4-5 15 , T. J. Taxley 8 3-6 20, Darrell Wess 5 0-0 10, Lathel Mountain 0 1-2 1, Trey Lambert 1 0-0 2, J. J. Johnson 0 0-2 0, Bill Cronce 1 0-0 2, Colton Cook 0 0-0 0, Jordan Robinson 2 1-1 5, Justin Sexton 1 0-0 2. Totals 23 9-18 57.

Graham.....17 20 16 24 — 77

Tazewell.....18 12 12 15 — 57

Three point goals – GR 4 (Cole 1, Hunter 1, Thompson 1, Goins 1; TZ 2 Angles 1, Tazewell 1). Fouled out—Cronce.

I would be a bit ashamed of graham if i were a graham fan........Tazewell is very very very young and those boys do an excellent job of playing well against the upperclassmen of other teams....Tazewell has got the kids, they got the effort, they got the depth, they have the desire, and now they have the coach.......Tazewell will be just fine

It does not matter how much talent is on the team. It is all dependent on what players Coach Walker decides to play. I still think he sits the majority of Tazewell’s best players. I have yet to figure out why he isn’t starting any seniors and a few sophomores that need to pick up about 15 pounds and a better attempt at a jump shot.