Who is joining the SWD?

sandman

No one this year...possibly Grayson Co. in 2005 although they are REALLY trying to join the Highlands (of course, Lee is fighting that...go figure).

If Floyd were to move up, they would be a natural fit for either the Piedmont or River Ridge (Rt. 8 runs through both Montgomery Co. and Patrick Co.).

Grayson County should be in SWD to give Carroll County a natural rival. I wouldn't blame Lee for fighting GC's attempt to join the Highlands, it would have to be at least 3 and half hours from Independence to Jonesville wouldn't it?

If you ask anyone from Lee Co., its 3.5 hours to ANYWHERE they have to travel.

Last season, they refused to play Graham due to "travel time". But when it got down to "crunch time" and they needed a 10th game...guess who they played...and where...BLUEFIELD AT MITCHELL STADIUM. All Lee wants is a "free ride" to play against Class A schools in the LPD.

Yeah, I thought that was kinda stupid that Lee was the only school to not go along with the scheduling agreement with the Southwest and Highlands. Carroll County did, and they are really about as far away from everyone in the SWD and the Highlands as Lee is.

G-Man, how many times are you going to post that Lee wouldn't play Graham, and ended up playing Bluefield? Get over it. Obviously someone lied to Lee, and backed out of an agreement at the last minute, leaving Bluefield as an only option. I would put Lee's non district schedule (since the school opened) up against Grahams anyday. (Kentucky state champs Bell County and Middlesboro, Tennessee power Austin-East, Virginia state champs Appalachia, Powell Valley, Gate City, Richlands, Pulaski County, and, suprise, Graham. By the way, which of those single A schools do we want a free ride against? Powell Valley, Gate City, Appy, Burton, Clintwood, and Kelly have combined for something like 20 state titles, while current Highlands members Marion, Abingdon, and Va. High havn't a title between them, unless you go back sixty years.

We'd love to have Lee in the LPD any day or at least I would. I don't think it'd happen anytime soon because their numbers are way too high. Hey they could make a new district in this part of sw va. Move Gate City, Powell Valley and JJ Kelly up to double A and make a AA district and put them and lee in. That'd be a good idea. I can't say that I blame Lee for not wanting to travel hours from home just to play in a district game. Of course what do I know? I'm only a band dork lol.

There is a lot of re-alignment that needs to be done in SWVa. In A, the LPD, BDD, and Cumberland districts need serious re-alignment. Either consolidate and make 2 districts of 9 teams or keep the three districts and move teams to make it 6 each. Clintwood and Pound could easily shift over to the BDD to make all districts with 6 teams.

-Josh