Fred Simon named WV Football Coach of the Year...

Bluefield_Rules

I'm not sure how I missed this. Although I didn't get to read Sunday's paper. Simon was named WV's football coach of the year voted on by the other football coaches around the state.

Three local coaches win state honor

Posted: Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 - 09:16:15 pm EDT

By TOM BONE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PRINCETON - Among the dozen coaches to be honored next Saturday during the annual North-South football game in Charleston are three leaders who work in Mercer County schools.

Fred Simon, of Bluefield High School, and Bryan Staten and Randy Peek of Princeton Middle School were each named Coach of the Year by the West Virginia Schools Athletic Coaches Association (WVSACA), according to association secretary-treasurer Charles Maynard.

Simon was named Senior High Football Coach of the Year. He coached the Bluefield Beavers to their second straight trip to the Class AA football championship game last season.

Simon, a head coach for 18 years, said, "I think it's an honor when your fellow coaches respect you enough to bestow this kind of award. I appreciate the recognition."

He added, "I'd like to thank the assistant coaches, and the players and the Beaver fans. They've had as much to do with this as anybody - and the support of the administration."

Staten, who coaches girls' basketball, was selected Junior-Middle-School Coach of the Year, while Peek, a football coach, was honored in a separate category of Middle School Coach of the Year.

The Princeton Middle girls' basketball team won the county championship for the fourth year in a row this spring, finishing the season 18-2. Staten and Maynard were both involved in coaching the team until Maynard's retirement last summer.

Staten said, "It's a great honor. I have to thank Charlie Maynard first. He's been my mentor. ... I just can't give him enough credit. I've learned so much from him; he's brought me along. ... I share this award with him."

Peek said, "I didn't consider this an individual award. I have a great staff (with) five other coaches. I consider it a staff award." In four years Peek's teams have lost four games. The team was 6-2 last fall.

The recognition of the coaches is an annual part of the North-South game, which is also organized by the coaches' association. This year's event kicks off at 7 p.m. at Laidley Field in the capital city.

- Contact Tom Bone at

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2004/06/13/sports/03.coaches.txt