Pre-season polls in WV

shadyfan

Anyone know when any of the polls will be out? Bluefield should be rated very high if not number 1 i know they dont matter but im just curious of what the top 10 or 15 teams will be on the polls. To see how they stack up from the 16 playoff teams from last year.

I'll tell you how the top 4 will look right now...

1. Bluefield

2. Wayne/Weir

3. Wayne/Weir

4. Poca

Shady Spring should make the playoffs, and if it takes James Monroe a year to figure out their offense, how you gonna figure out how to stop it in one? They should be pretty good too. Mount View as well. Keyser will be tough. Frankfort will make the playoffs. Magnolia will be alright. Those are probably the teams you'll see most about. Tolsia won't be bad either.

i agree with your top choices but with the talent wayne has coming back i can see them in the semis this year at the very worst, i saw them against westside in the playoffs and except for all the turnovers i was impressed with all the underclassmen, so good luck shady scrimmages westside this monday but from what i understand they lost just about everybody. im also suprised were not hearing much chatter from the james monroe and mt.view fans both teams should have a quality year.

Don't be surprised if Poca isn't the preseason #1 in the Daily Mail's first poll. The voters around the state tend to put a lot of stock in what happened the previous year instead of taking that into account, but also realizing it's a different year.

My AA Top 5 going into the season would look like this:

1) Bluefield--Having been to Wheeling two straight years and having seniors starting for the fourth year get them the nod over the next two.

2) Wayne--They return a wealth of experience and talent.

3) Weir--They'll be tough and return some talent. However, they lost four offensive linemen and the line is the toughest position to replace in football.

4) Poca--Three-time defending champs, so they deserve some respect. However, I don't see them being one of the five best AA teams at the end of the year. The great run of titles will end in 2004.

5) James Monroe--They return some very key players and have another year in the single wing offense. They'll plow through the majority of their schedule with the exception Bluefield and maybe Shady.

Others: Mount View, Shady Spring, Keyser, Frankfort, Oak Hill (Could make the playoffs or fall flat).

I think those top 4 are locks after that its just up in the air im a little suprised u choose james monroe over mt. view or even shady i know they return alot but i kinda think they relied to much on franklin and mt. view returns almost as much talent and shady returns 9 on both sides of the ball including the entire backfield shady should have no problem making the playoffs this year barring injuries but enless they start throwing they will not make it past a first round game.

[ QUOTE ]

I think those top 4 are locks after that its just up in the air im a little suprised u choose james monroe over mt. view or even shady i know they return alot but i kinda think they relied to much on franklin and mt. view returns almost as much talent and shady returns 9 on both sides of the ball including the entire backfield shady should have no problem making the playoffs this year barring injuries but enless they start throwing they will not make it past a first round game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mount View does return a bevy of talent, but also remember what they lost. Greg Vineyard was their main offensive weapon and produced a lot of the offense for them. I think MV will be good this season, but until we see who'll step up in the backfield to replace Vineyard I cannot put them in the top five.

James Monroe did depend heavily on the Franklin kid. They do, however, return their second best back from a year ago. I forget his name, but I remember he injured his leg and missed the last part of the season. As I said, I believe JM will plow their most of their schedule and earn a high playoff seed. James Monroe's achilles heel has always been a speedy and quick team such as Bluefield. However, not a lot of teams in AA outside of Bluefield have that type of overall speed. Mount View is probably the only other one. JM's style of the single-wing will be effective against slower teams, especially along the line of scrimmage b/c of the uncertainly of who has the ball.

i agree vineyard is a huge loss but you know just as i do, it seems like they reload every year. And the james monroe kid i think was andrew robertson he was a sophmore last year and was impressive at times but not the same type of player as franklin unless they are able to throw a little more this year he will not have as productive year as franklin did last year. again this is just my prespective so to the mav fans good luck i hope you win every game except shady.

Only played games will reveal who has what. Talent wise Mount View is among the top three in AA every year, but we all know talent alone doesn't win games. You have to play sound, fundamental football to win games and Mount View sometimes doesn’t do that. They may have turned the corner last year in the postseason by coming back to upset Tyler Consolidated on the road and whipping Bridgeport in the quarterfinals. Who knows, had Vineyard not gotten injured so early against Poca we might have had a Bluefield/Mount View showdown in Wheeling.

Mount View has the pieces to be a very good team, but can the coaching staff in Welch put those pieces in the right places? Looking at the MV schedule they'll start off 2-0 with wins over Man or Chapmanville. Then they must travel to Shady after two straight weeks off, which doesn't bode well for any football team. At worst they should finish 7-2 with Bluefield and Shady being the only possible losses. They shouldn't lose to anyone else on the schedule, but it's MV and they did manage to lose to lowly Webster County last year.

i do agree if they had a coaching staff they would be a contender every year even in aaa. hopefully this will be the year shady beats them they have yet to accomplish that even the year shady went to the semis and lost to bridgeport the one regular season game they lost was to mt. view at shady 21-20 but that is nice to know shady will have 2 more games played including a tough match up at james monroe.