Wayne Pioneers

Pdot

I hear Wayne crushed Cabell Midland in their scrimmage last Friday. From what I understand, they look unbeatable. They have skill at all the positions and there line is one of the best in years. With almost 70 kids out to pick from, this might be shocked.gifCoach Harmons year to win the title.

Wayne will be pretty tough, but now I think that's waaaay too much to say about them. They're going to be tough to beat, but are by no means unbeatable. And scrimmage results don't mean a whole lot. Varisty wise, it was 13-7 Wayne, hardly "crushing" them. Wayne appreciates your respect, but I'm sticking with the Pioneers being Top 3 in AA.

PS- Belfry Pirate, if you go into the Wayne game expecting to see something amazing, you'll be dissappointed. There are times that Wayne is by no means an impressive team on the field. It's not always pretty football, but it's efficient, pound it out, execution-based football.

I'm not even sure we can compete with Lawrence County...they're big on both sides of the ball and really physical. Definately a big test early in the season. And notice who the people are saying Wayne will be great this year...they're not even from Wayne...lol.

I enjoy that "pound it out" execution style of football. Its pretty much the same style my Belfry Pirates play, and over the past few years its the same thing the Lawrence County Bulldogs have played. But that could all be different this year seeing as how the Bulldogs have a new head coach.

p.s. i just may be at this game seeing as how belfry has the week off and lawrence county is their next opponent!

Good Luck to the Bulldogs and the Pioneers! and Lawrence County did lose to two class "AA" teams last year, the Prestonsburg Blackcats and the Belfry Pirates so don't count Wayne out of being able to compete with them.

BelfryPirates1,

Just wondering if you went to the game and if so, what did you think? That certainly wasn't what I expected...if you had told me before the game we would be accused of running up the score on them, I woulda called you crazy. Lawrence County was very weak against the run, and with teams like Belfry and Ironton, OH on the schedule...well...they just aren't going to be successful. We just came out and hit them in the mouth early...and they responded, but we came right back afterward. I never felt comfortable though until it was 50-20. Wish they hadn't run that kickoff back against our freshmen, but oh well. Good luck to your Pirates next week!

It didn't even look like a normal Lawrence County team... and I wouldn't worry much about people saying the score was ran up... lol i remember my sophmore year a very good Lawrence County team beating us 50-0...

I thought the Pioneers looked good against the Bulldogs, what does the rest of Wayne's schedule look like?

you wouldnt happen to be the same Pioneer_PA from tristatepreps.com would ya?

Yep, same one...also WaynePioneer on Bluegrasspreps.com.

Wayne plays a WV Class A-sized Chesapeake, OH Friday...it's kind of a rivalry game. Then the Cardinal Conference schedule...Herbert Hoover, then road games at Winfield (much improved) and Sissonville (who went to Poca and won 12-0 this week), a home game with Point Pleasant (traditionally played an Ohio schedule...should be pretty good...beat AAA Ripley last week), a trip to rival Tolsia (no matter what, this game is usually pretty tight), home game with 3x defending AA champ Poca (who Wayne has beat 2 of those 3 years), a trip to Chapmanville (3-7 last year, new coach), and a home game to finish the season with Logan (1-9 last year, new coach). All in all, it's still unknown how difficult the schedule will prove to be. Winfield beat a traditionally good Ravenswood team in Week 1, and Sissonville went 2-8 last year, but one of those 2 was a win at Wayne, so you can't take a break with the schedule. Hoover...you never know what you're going to get from them. Wayne should be ok as long as they stay injury free. If they play with the same intensity on offense they did Friday, they'll have a very good year. Defense, I'm not sure about...I believe cramps hurt a lot...it was 22-6 at halftime and that score was aided by a 15-yard facemask on 4th down that was stopped...and another 8 were due to a kickoff return...so I guess we played alright. Hopefully we won't cramp up so much this week...about every defender went down with a cramp for us.

Anyway, I suspect Belfry will either have their way with a discouraged LC squad, or they'll get a fight from them if they are proud enough to step up. LC just didn't respond to the Wing-T.