WVU question

thegamer

I've been looking in a lot of magazines and seen in the newspaper lately that people are giving WVU a lot of preseason recognition, i've also seen on the net where coach rod has said the team hasnt practiced very well this preseason, so is high preseason recognition a good thing or a bad thing in terms of preparing for an upcoming season, your thoughts please

High expectations are bad because you have to live up to them. You become the hunted rather than the hunter. In the BIg East every team gave their best shot to Miami and Virginia Tech because of the hype they recieved every year.

Luckily for WVU they don't have much competition in the BE this year. Pittsburgh will be tough of course, and I think UCONN might surprise them, but I don't expect WVU to lose a conference game.

thats all true..dont forget about BC tho, they usually play pretty well and maybe even syracuse i know they have that RB walter reyes back, and of course you know VT and Maryland will be tough non conf. games as well..

WVU has had some trouble with the turtle. Friedgen is an offensive genious who will always be hard to beat.

I am a Virginia Tech fan and I will be at the WVU game. They have no idea what awaits them. Some WVU fans (not all of course)have verbally, and in some cases physicaly, attacked VT fans over ACC expansion. Because of that, many Hokies, including myself, have circled 10-2 on the calender. I don't know if you saw the VT vs Miami game last year but the fans were so pumped and so loud that Miami, the most talented team in the country, never had a chance. That same atmosphere will be replicated against WVU this year. We are upset at the WVU fans who have attacked and threatened us, and with the WVU administration for making the decision to place large speakers on the field last year to disrupt our offense. We won't need any speakers at Lane. The best PA system money can buy wouldn't come close to how loud we will be on 10-2.

Having said all of that, I have no problem with the majority of WVU fans. I also like Rich Rodriguez. I think he is the best young coach in the country and he will have his team playing well no matter what.

Sorry for the rant but this has been building for quite a while.

BigD,

I couldn't have said it any better myself. The WVU team will be walking into one of, if not the most, unfriendly stadium any team from that school has ever faced. I plan on being there and I cannot wait. WVU might very well win, but they'll go through hell to do it.

hey you cant forget about uva this season, although they lost their qb they still have a great tight end in my couz and honaker standout heath miller and a good running game in wali lundy and co. they will still be good but the confernce is tough, i cant wait.

Bluefield,

What are your feelings on the USC game this weekend? With 75k hokies in the stands and the blue collar atitude back on defense, plus the fact that SC is such heavy favorites against a team that was top 5 until the meltdown last year, I think an upset may be brewing.

I honestly won't be surprised regardless of the outcome. If USC pounds VT it won't surprise me and if VT beats USC it won't surprise me. Beamer usually does a very good job of preparing his teams when he has an extended period of time to do it. The Hokies are 28-0 since 1996 in August and September with nine wins over top 25 teams. Granted some of those were against weak opponents, but LSU and A&M two years ago were not easy opponents nor was Marshall with Leftwich and company.

Early on I thought this was blowout city, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I think VT makes it closer than everyone, including myself, thought and thinks. I'll still say USC by 10-14 points, but an upset is possible.

it also helps VT, in the fact that mike williams was ruled ineligible today by the NCAA, but i have no idea what tech has this year, i just know the last 2 years they have really struggled losing some games they normally dont lose, but again i dont know what they have so i have no prediction, i just say both teams will play hard

I think they have lost as many underclassmen from last year as they did seniors. They still have plenty of talent BUT a lot of them are inexperienced. Hopefully that will help VT.

VT has a lot more talent than people are giving them credit for. but a lot of them are also inexperienced.

The closer it gets to game time the more I think VT can pull it off. I know SC is #1 but we beat #2 last year.

The thing about VT this season is that 24 true or redshirt freshmen will dress this season. Of those 24, 12-13 will see solid game action not merely "mop up duty," 7-8 will see a lot of game action, and 3-4 could possibly start. VT's two-deep is loaded with freshmen...