martinsville pd champs

mhsalum

not exactly what you asked for, but here is the article from the bulletin...

Bulldogs win sixth straight wrestling title

Sunday, February 18, 2007

By ANDREW STEVENS - Bulletin Sports Writer

Martinsville High School may want to consider buying another trophy case.

The Bulldogs captured their sixth consecutive Piedmont District wrestling tournament championship on Saturday afternoon at the Dawg House. Earlier this season, Martinsville won its fifth straight regular-season district title.

Trailing Magna Vista heading into the last round, Martinsville got wins from six of its nine wrestlers in the finals and edged the Warriors 226-207.

“There were a lot of heart rates high going into the last 14 matches, but we had a lot of guys with some finals experience,†Bulldogs Head Coach Chad Ratliff said. “I’ve been saying the last few years the Piedmont is just getting better and better, and it showed.â€Â

Tunstall finished third with 146 points, Patrick County placed fourth with 145 and Bassett finished fifth with 74.5 points.

Earning wins for Martinsville in the finals and capturing individual district titles for their respective weight classes were Devin Stockton (119 pounds), Taylor Johnson (125), David Hamrick (130), Andrew Dionne (140), Dorian Carter (145) and Antwon Hairston (152).

Carter, who captured his fourth individual district championship also (to his surprise) took home the district Wrestler of the Year award.

“It was definitely a surprise. I didn’t think I was going to get it,†Carter said. “It was one of my goals. I wanted to get it, and me and Rickey (Flood) knew it was going to be either me or him. It just came out my way. It was just a surprise.â€Â

Winning individual district titles for Magna Vista were Tony Gravely (103), Timmy Santoemma (112), Charles Curtis (171) and Martin Salgado (215).

“We almost met our expectations,†Warriors Head Coach John Truini said. “We were 19 points out of first place, but overall the kids wrestled with a lot of heart today and a lot of pride.â€Â

Also picking up individual titles were Bassett’s Andrew Miller (Hwt), Patrick County’s Kenneth Kendrick (135) and Dustin Echols (160) and Seth Flora (189) of Tunstall.

Ratliff was awarded for his efforts this season by receiving his sixth career PD Coach of the Year award.

“This award means a lot, especially since it’s voted on by my colleagues. That makes it feel special,†Ratliff said.

Martinsville will host the Region IV tournament Friday and Saturday with action beginning Friday at 4 p.m. While another PD title is certainly worth celebrating, Ratliff isn’t going to let his team enjoy this one for too long. The ’Dogs, like many of their district counterparts, have bigger goals in mind.

“As soon as we’re back in the practice room on Monday, it’s a new goal and a new week and we can’t rest on our laurels  that’s for sure,†Ratliff said. “When Grundy comes to town, we’ve got to be ready for them.â€Â

rickey wrestles at 160. he lost to tunstall's dustin echols 3-2 i think.

Martinsville 226

Magna Vista 207

Tunstall 146

Patrick County 145.5

Bassett 74.5

1. Gravely MV

2. Vernon PC

1. Santoemma MV

2. Watson PC

3. Dandridge M

1. Stockton M

2. Devall T