Another BDT article on Bluefield/Martinsburg

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2004/09/30/sports/03.bluefield.txt

Bluefield defense hopes to stifle Sowers and Bulldogs

Posted: Wednesday, Sep 29, 2004 - 11:42:29 pm EDT

By DUSTY HARMAN

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD - The Bluefield Beaver defense would love nothing more than to derail Nate Sowers' "Kennedy Award Tour."

Sowers, the top playmaker for the Class AAA No. 1 Martinsburg Bulldogs (5-0), is a likely favorite to be named the state's top player after finishing second to teammate Brandon Barrett last season.

With so much well-hyped talent, Sowers, a WVU recruit, will be the focal point as top-rated Bluefield (4-0) prepares for the stiffest challenge their defense has faced this season.

"He's the key, whether he's throwing the ball or running the ball," Bluefield coach Fred Simon said. "We need to put heat on him, we need to contain him, we need to open-field tackle him, he's the key."

Sowers has accounted for more than 1,000 yards and 16 touchdowns for the Bulldogs, who have won 27 straight regular season games. The senior's totals include 885 yards passing (59-of-103) for seven TDs. He has been intercepted four times.

Sowers is just as dangerous on the ground, totaling 422 yards on a team-high 50 carries. He has run for nine scores and averages 8.4 yards per rush.

"We just have to play a team game," senior quarterback and defensive back Rusty Coeburn said. "If we can shut down the main leader of their offense, I think we'll have a pretty successful game. ... I think if we put a lot of pressure on him from our defensive line, he'll have a tough time getting passes off."

Bluefield, which has allowed opponents just 13.50 points per contest, also hopes to pose problems with their trademark speed.

"I don't think he's played a defense as quick as ours yet," said senior T.J. Morris. "I can't wait to see what happens Friday, it's almost like a rivalry game."

"We can't let him run out of the pocket like he's been doing against other teams," said Michael Davis, a senior wideout and D-back.

"Truly, I don't think he's played a defense as good as ours."

But stopping Sowers is only part of the equation for the Beavers.

The unit knows running back Josh Twyman (44 rushes for 435 yards and seven scores) averages 9.9 yards per carry, while wideouts Ryan Miller (16 receptions for 246 yards, 2 TDs) Aaron Stokes (11/187/2), Scotti Smith (6/116/1), and Jacquin Moore (5/111/1) are more than capable of breaking a big gain.

"We've got to contain all those weapons," Simon said. "All of these other guys have excellent speed. They are similar to a team like we have, where you can spread people out and everybody you have can run."

"This will be one of the toughest offenses that we'll face this year. ... ," first-year Beaver Jonathan Repass said. "But I don't think they've seen anybody as fast as us this year. I think we've got a pretty good chance."

"It's probably the biggest game we have all year," Quintin Steptoe said. "We'll practice hard, we'll play hard and hopefully come out with a win."

- Contact Dusty Harman

dharman@bdtonline.com