My thoughts on Martinsburg/Bluefield:

Bluefield_Rules

First, I want start by saying that for anyone that hasn’t seen Nate Sowers play that the kid is the absolute real deal. He has outstanding speed and a cannon for an arm, which makes him an elite player. However, I believe what put him on an even higher level is his football intelligence. The kid doesn’t get rattled very often and even under pressure makes great decisions. From this fan’s point-of-view Sowers is the best high school QB I’ve ever seen in person.

Second, Martinsburg showed a lot of class after the game. I saw a lot of pats on the helmet, hugs, and kids from both sides exchanging words after the game. I know Bluefield had a lot of respect for Martinsburg heading into the game and I believe Martinsburg now has that same amount of respect for Bluefield. I know I saw Sowers and Coeburn embrace and exchange wishes for a good amount of time afterwards. I saw a lot of Martinsburg players single out David Perdue after the game and if you were at the game then you certainly know why.

Martinsburg is quite honestly Bluefield’s worst nightmare offensive, and probably many other teams as well. Bluefield has always struggled defending the pass and Martinsburg is a pass-happy team. They run the spread formation with four and five receivers, which means defensively you’ve got to account for each one. They have a QB, Sowers, that can kill you with both his arm and legs. They have a nice HB with good speed and allusive. I mean they can hit a team from all angles on offense and if you aren’t ready the game will be over as quickly as it starts.

However, I thought Bluefield did a good job of keeping the Mburg receivers in front of them and tackling pretty well once they caught the ball. I’d say close to half of Martinsburg’s offensive production came in the first quarter as the Beavers were making adjustments. You cannot stop Martinsburg’s offense, unless you’re Mother Nature, but I thought Bluefield did a solid job of containing them tonight.

Offensively, I believe is where I was most surprised tonight. Anyone that has seen Martinsburg play knows they are HUGE on the DL, probably averaging right at or more than 300 lbs. Their OL and DL put many WVIAC teams to shame. However, Bluefield’s smaller and quicker lineman absolutely took apart that massive DL of Martinsburg. Those big kids were sucking wind for most of the night. It’s just another case where size is so overrated in high school football when compared to speed and quickness. Bluefield was able to run the ball down their throats, outside and inside. Martinsburg didn’t have the speed to contain Quentin Steptoe b/c once he got the edge tonight it was good for 15-20 yards and much more in some cases.

The passing attack was very efficient tonight, which complimented that running attack beautifully. If I’m not mistaken Coeburn was 8 for 10 with around 120 yards and no interceptions. John Repass was 1 for 1 for 44 yards and the touchdown on the receiver-option pass to Q. Steptoe. Bluefield didn’t have a turnover the entire night; Martinsburg had one.

I was also impressed with the Bluefield crowd tonight, and the Martinsburg crowd as well. The home stands were 95% filled tonight and Martinsburg’s side was probably 40% filled. I’d estimate the attendance tonight somewhere between 7,000-7,500, maybe more.

In the end, it was a total team effort from the Beavers. Every single player that stepped on the field tonight played a key role and the win was huge. However, there is still a ton of football left to be played. The goal this season wasn’t to just beat Martinsburg, the goal was to beat Martinsburg, everyone else on the schedule, and win a state championship. Martinsburg is simply a single step in that climb to the top and there are still plenty of steps to climb for the Beavers. This one was sweet though, so enjoy b/c as Buzzsaw said in his post this is one of the ones that'll go down as the best ever.

Now I have to get some sleep, so I can get up early and head to the WVU/VT game tomorrow morning. Take care all…

I went to the game tonight and want to congratulate Bluefield on a great win. I know Bluefield has won a lot of good regular season games over the years but this one against Martinsburg has to be right up there near the top as far as regular season goes.

Sowers is definitely the real deal. I have seen him play a few times in person. He has a strong arm and is accurate. Maybe more impressive is his ability to tuck the ball and run when there is nobody open or make a big play out of nothing. There were a couple of times he looked to be in deep trouble but threw a couple of passes you just couldn't believe unless you were at the game.

Martinsburg's offense is so good you felt like they were gonna score everytime they got the ball. However, I question Martinsburg's defense to an extent. It didn't look as good to me as it has in the past.

Bluefield has a very good football team. Coeburn is no slouch at QB either. He might have gotten overshadowed by Sowers but he is one of the top QB's in the state as well. Bluefield's speed is something else. Perdue and Q. Steptoe are extremely fast as is Davis. Stone is the real deal at kicker too. He had one punt I remember tonight that was long and high, I can't remember seeing too many like that in high school.

All in all, what a great football game between two of the top three or four teams in WV regardless of class. Very few turnovers, very few penalties. Both of these teams are very well coached. The offenses looked very smooth. Both of these teams are very good.

I thought that the last couple of minutes in the second quarter was probably the difference in the game. Martinsburg was ready to go up 14-7 before being picked off leading to a Bluefield field goal and then the bad punt before the half that led to the Bluefield TD.

Once again great game Bluefield. It is one of the best high school games I have ever watched. Good luck the rest of the season.

I agree BR. That Sowers kid has to be one of the most talented High School Qb's I have seen In person also. Not taking anything away from Coeburn either because he ranks up there with the good ones.

Bluefield's O-line was very impressive once again. Scoring when we needed it, making the big 1st downs when they were crucial, especially in the 4th quarter. I wish the defense would have played their WR's a little closer though, maybe some bump-n-run. It scares me when the defense plays 6 - 10 yards off the receiver. I know that helps against the big pass play, but I feel the defense could have been more effective and maybe seen some more interceptions by playing up closer. Besides Martinsburg's one long pass play, most of their passes were quick 5 yarders but then they were getting 5 - 10 YAC.

Bluefield controlling the clock for the final 7 minutes of the game for the win... UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Congrats to the Beavers, You have made us very PROUD! And to you fans, too. The place was loud and crazy and the seats were packed...

I agree completely. That game was as good as any i've seen on Monday night. I had a lot of respect for Martinsburg, the team and the fans, they had a lot of class. Bluefield played with heart and every man on that team deserves credit. Perdue, Davis, Steptoe(s), Coeburn,and others were right on the money. Way to go Big B. you deserve this one...