How far can Richlands go?

richlands76

[ QUOTE ]

How far do some people think richlands can go this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hesitant, but everyone here has made me a partial believer. So I will say state semis...they lose to the best team from Region III.

I think they can go far into the playoffs BUT, like TheAlpha said, once you get out of SW Virginia the athletes get bigger and faster.

That said, I think Richlands has enough talent and depth accross the board to have a serious shot IF everything falls in their favor.

I want to wait and see who makes it in before I guess how far they can go...I think they have a legit shot at state...Richlands has a very good team and a lot of depth at almost every position.

[ QUOTE ]

I think they can go far into the playoffs BUT, like TheAlpha said, once you get out of SW Virginia the athletes get bigger and faster.

That said, I think Richlands has enough talent and depth accross the board to have a serious shot IF everything falls in their favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I want to add one more thing and I am done for the night. It is not necessarily that the athletes get bigger and faster -- in some cases yes they do -- once you get out of SWVa, it's just a different style ball is played outside of SWVa. I've seen teams from eastern/northern Virginia scared to play smash-mouth. Great teams "on paper" that fold up. I've also seen SWVa teams rattled when playing against finesse teams with a solid line that mix it up. I think all of us SWVa natives like to see teams that line up and go at each other's faces + an excellent defensive struggle. At least that is football to me.

The question is can Richlands match athleticism in certain key positions. If they can they have it made. Big Blue always.

BTW, I've seen first hand that Richlands can produce pure athletes, but Richlands won in 1992 when they produced a pure team. Whether you are pro-Vaught or not. Those boys had chemistry.

I think this year's team is the best they have had since then...just my opinion. They looked a little flat against graham the first half, but then they got settled down and took care of business...you could just see it happen.

I think they will match up well against the other region teams...for some reason people are still not giving them much credit it seems.

The only thing that they could have a problem with is getting wound up and nervous in the big game when the time comes...they were way up for Grundy, but seemed kinda shell shocked to find themselves in a game with Graham at the half...but...like i said...then they settled down and it was ok.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I want to add one more thing and I am done for the night. It is not necessarily that the athletes get bigger and faster -- in some cases yes they do -- once you get out of SWVa, it's just a different style ball is played outside of SWVa. I've seen teams from eastern/northern Virginia scared to play smash-mouth. Great teams "on paper" that fold up. I've also seen SWVa teams rattled when playing against finesse teams with a solid line that mix it up. I think all of us SWVa natives like to see teams that line up and go at each other's faces + an excellent defensive struggle. At least that is football to me.

The question is can Richlands match athleticism in certain key positions. If they can they have it made. Big Blue always.

BTW, I've seen first hand that Richlands can produce pure athletes, but Richlands won in 1992 when they produced a pure team. Whether you are pro-Vaught or not. Those boys had chemistry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry all I can't keep from running my big mouth. One more thing, and I hope all the big blue fans can fill me in on...

I went to Liberty Uni. and watched Gretna last year in states. It is about an hour and 15 minutes drive from Richmond to Lynchburg depending on the route. I wanted to see if all the hype around Gretna was true. I got there early and watched the last three quarters of the Powhatan/Fleming contest as well.

First off, Gretna just totally outclassed the competition offensively to the point of no contest. However, there is more to be said from observing what I saw of the Fleming game. Those teams had no real stars at all on offense, they just battled head to head on defense. I know this is a cliche, but that game proved DEFENSE wins championships.

You've seen them. Does Richlands have THE defense necessary to win a championship? That will answer the question...can they make a run?

Yes. Richlands has a very good defense. They swarm to the ball and they love to hit.

They're giving up 13 points a game but much of that came against the 2nd/3rd team.

They also have great special teams. They have blocked several kicks and Jennings is a HUGE threat on returns.

I haved lived both in SWVA Virginia and Northern VA as well, and ur right. The style is the thing that is different. When I first went to the northern school and told people i played football and i lived down here everyone was like....awww smashmouth football, so u gotta be tough. really the main thing is SWVA is more conservative players, meaning we would rather hit the guy than try our hand at a big hit. Plus up in northern va the emphasis on football is different. there its about soccer and other sports, but down here its pretty much football.

I believe i can agree that kids may get faster for the most part (team speed), yet bigger? Not always! GC can always hold it's own sizewise, as Richlands should be able to also.

Essex was huge, yet GC was so much faster (throw out R. Baylor). We (SWVA) used to march out the huge plodding teams and face the small quick teams from other regions. It could be turning in the other direction now, but i haven't seen it myself!

grundy and carroll county have shifted to more speed based kids and dont really have the size they have had in the past over the last few years...i think that is a changing trend...grundy has one of the smallest lines in the area, yet does produce results...they have been lucky to have good speed in the backfield, if the size and speed both run out one year...big trouble.

Richlands, va high, gate city, clintwood and tazewell all have huge linemen.

I agree Big D, I watched practice since the Graham win and you would think richlands lost the last two, They havn't slacked up, which I'm glad. They do get this Thurs and Friday off. I'll be back out there monday and see how the rest period worked.