Some thoughts on VT thus far:

Bluefield_Rules

Pardon the post, but I just need to get some things off the ol’ chest concerning VT. Bryan Stinespring is killing me with his play calling the majority of the time. If anyone has any questions why the Hokies are struggling in the red-zone then just watch a film of today’s Wake Forest game. Today and throughout the year once the Hokies enter the red-zone Stinespring gets extremely conservative and predictable. When the Hokies got inside the red-zone today he would try running up the middle with Imoh, Humes, or Hamilton on first and second down. Then faced with a third and long, in an obvious passing situation, he would attempt to pass and Wake ate them up with the blitz. Hello, how many times does something have to be played out before you realize it isn't working?

The same scenario has played out throughout the first six games of the year. I still remember against NC State on a key 3rd down and nine from inside the State 20 he ran a fullback shovel-pass that went nowhere. Why try such slow developing play with a slower player in Kinzer against such an ultra-quick defense? I mean at least give your team a chance to make the plays to win a ballgame. I can live with the consequences of a struggling offense if the offense is at least taking chances. However, this run up the middle, run up the middle, try to pass, and then try a FG crap is getting old. It’s like watching a Don Nehlen coached WVU team. It’s boring, it’s very predictable, and it’s accomplishing nothing. The defense has won VT the last two games and it kept them in the NC State game.

Contrary to popular belief, I think Ricky Bustle was an excellent offensive coordinator. His scheme was a little too conservative, and probably needed some updating, but it was designed to take care of the football and control the clock while the defense and special teams put you in position to win.

Stinespring's offense this year is patterned after the Indianappolis Colts. Last year it was supposed to be a combination of Miami, Wake and the Denver Broncos. His first year as OC it looked a lot like Nebraska.

I think he needs to go back and watch film of Bustle's teams (actually I think he needs to go back to coaching high school but that won't happen). Learn what made Hokie football what it is and put a few modern wrinkles into that rather than going out and borrowing a whole new scheme every year.