Best Virginia High School Coach (1984 - 2004)

TheAlpha

Gate City has always had good teams. Powell Valley also. Hard one to say but I will go with sheer number or titles and go with Robbins at Powell Valley. I do commend Appalachias coach though their teams are always good. And they dont have the biggest and best players. They remind me a lot of Grundy in that they do more with some of the smallest teams in the state every year. So I have to give him much props too. All 3 coaches obviously have done very well and are VA High School Greats.

Secondary question to my original post:

Does the best high school football coach ALSO have close ties to the pee-wee, midget, middle-school, and junior varsity teams?

Please share with us -- whether or not your coach is mentioned -- what involvement the varsity coaches have in these leagues, if any.

Are we talking about active coaches only?

If not, Coaches Fry (GC) and Cummins (Clintwood) are right up there, both are in the hall of fame. Mike Smith (Hampton) has an awesome record with several state titles. Also in the VHSL hall of fame. Chippie Chappel (Lunenburg Central) had an overall record of 119-9-4 as of 1985? when they lost to PV in the finals, i have no idea what his record is, or even if he is still coaching.

Robbins (PV), Colobro (GC), Carlock (GHS),all deserve a look and Lineburg (RHS) has over 300? as of last year i think. My numbers may be wrong, but i think he won 300 last year.

[ QUOTE ]

Hicks overall record at Pulaski Co. was 210-69 (.753). His career coaching record was 301-97-1 (.756), with stints at Big Creek and Woodrow Wilson (Beckley), before coming to PCHS. His only losing season was his very first as a head coach at Big Creek.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on Coach Hicks; no losing seasons at PCHS is an amazing feat. You know that some of those teams were less talented than many of their opponents.

[ QUOTE ]

Are we talking about active coaches only?

If not, Coaches Fry (GC) and Cummins (Clintwood) are right up there, both are in the hall of fame. Mike Smith (Hampton) has an awesome record with several state titles. Also in the VHSL hall of fame. Chippie Chappel (Lunenburg Central) had an overall record of 119-9-4 as of 1985? when they lost to PV in the finals, i have no idea what his record is, or even if he is still coaching.

Robbins (PV), Colobro (GC), Carlock (GHS),all deserve a look and Lineburg (RHS) has over 300? as of last year i think. My numbers may be wrong, but i think he won 300 last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best coach (dead, comatose, alive) of the last 20 years.

Sorry guys, I gotta leave Robbins out of the race. Coach Turner has done so much with less that how could anyone not see him as the best coach around. No.2 is Coach Colobro. He won numerous District titles in the Highlands and was almost always in the Highlands playhoffs with a Single A school having to petitona the VHSL to play up to AA ball. 1 State Championship at the AA level. Coach Robbins came in to a school with A numbers and beat schools in a time when the coal mines had laid of so many that many people from Appy, Norton, Wise, Clintwood, Pound etc had moved away. Who couldn't come in and win a bunch of state championships. It didn't take a whole lot of coaching to do that. If the people who live in the area including PV, will think this through, they will see this also. Robbins is very overrated IMHO. How have his starters fared since playing and beating GC. Won the game but are very banged up. Can say all they want but I've been around and watched them enough after the GC game to know. And I know deep in their hearts they are really dreading the physical beating they will take (win or lose) come time to play GC. Think about it PV. Think about it hard. They're coming in a few weeks to bullet park and it's gonna be painful whether you win orlose. Think about the day after. PAIN! Good luck and may the best team win.

Oooooo!! GC coming to pv big deal dude. You think that they arent dreading it anymore then we are. There are just as nervous playing us as we are of them. And the only way that u will know that they r gonna beat us is if u come and watch the game urself which i dont know if they will or not it one of those games the nobady knows who is gonna win. We r not scarred to play them and if we get banged up so what thats football. i got knocked on my ass by bigger ppl then what GC has. PAIN IS TEMPOARY BUT PRIDE LAST FOREVER. Think about that one long and hard. Come on think about it. we beat em once we can do it again. we will just as ready and fired up as they will be. and Coach Robbins is still one of the best coaches

Calm down! The previous post is just someone trying to do to you just what they did! Look at the total posts (1), this is obviously someone that is 1. either a GC person who can't deal with adversity, or 2. a PV fan trying to fire the PV folks up, or 3. someone who hates PV!

Trust me when i say this, everyone with any common sense who witnessed the GC/PV game realizes that there is very little seperating the two, and it will hopefully be a great game if they meet for the regional title in a few weeks.

[ QUOTE ]

yeh ur right but at the time i was kinda ticked some of the ppl over on the lpd forum were driving me crazy

[/ QUOTE ]

I would venture to say there are some Gate City fans that feel the same way based on derogatory/anti-GC comments that have been made before the season even began and continue to be posted on the LPD Forum up to this point in the season. I don't think you will see it cease either, both will be ripped periodically on any forum that makes mention of the two.

Okay.... I am in NO WAY a Haysi Tiger fan...but after watching him during the games he(Colley) gets in the other teams heads. he is a smart coach by doing that. Knows just when to fire his team up and get in the other teams as well as their fans heads....just wanted to say he was a good coach.

I guess you have to go with the titles and say Robbins.

My pick w/o titles would be John Adams(My coach) He was a great coach that had good teams with not a whole lot of talent. He was a def. minded coach and I love that.

YEH THE LPD FORUM IS GOING OUT OF CONTROL. NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE THAT COMES BACK WITH A HALF STUPID ANSWER. PEOPLE GET ON THERE ACTING LIKE THEY GO TO A DIFFERENT SCHOOL JUST TO MAKE THEM LOOK STUPID AND IT ALWAYS PV THAT GETS THE PUT DOWNS. WELL NOT ALL THE TIME BECAUSE IV SEE SOME LIKE U SAID WHERE GC GOT IT B4 THE SEAON BUT AS OF LATELY PV BEEN GETTING THE TRASH AND SOME OF THEME GIVE IT BACK BECAUSE THERE STUPID. LOTS OF ANTI-PV COMMENTS FOR SOME REASON