Thoughts on James Monroe vs. Bluefield

MavsRock

Well, it's that special time of year when 2 undefeated teams play late in in the season. Wouldn't you know it, this year it James Monroe and Bluefield. I won't make mention of 2002, next year, or last season, other than to say that I'd be a little shocked to see it anywhere close to 49-6 for either side, I think that's wishfull thinking on some people's part.

Both teams have had inconsistent moments this year, and if one team comes out flat, and the other on fire, the one that's flat (or has several turnovers) has an overwhelmingly high chance of losing this game. If both teams play close to 100%, I see this one going into the 4th quarter undecided. My prediction for this game is going to come Thursday, after I've had a chance to watch my team practice this week.

The bad news for Bluefield is that I don't know of any injuries to our team, while I know that Q. Steptoe's shoulder injury was worse than people in Bluefield have been letting on, and I've also heard that T.J. Morris is out for this week, and maybe the season. That being said, the Mavericks will still have their hands full with a Bluefield team that has very good depth. The big danger for Bluefield is that win or lose, another week of key injures in the next 2 games could be lethal if there's anything to the rumor that Weir could be their first playoff game.

Here's hoping the Mavs get up for this game like they did for the Shady game. That night the whole team seemed to play like one big weapon. We need that same attitude again for this Friday.

I'll agree that Bluefield has many more weapons than James Monroe right now, but I wouldn't call them a one man team. The Mavs went to Oak Hill and won by 2 scores (and I realize Oak Hill is down) when Robertson didn't get to play, and would've beat them much, much worse if not for stupid penalties.

Wyoming East also found out that keying on Robertson can blow up in your face. That was a game that Heath Mullins didn't play in, and Robertson was held to negative yardage in the first half with 5 or 6 players keying him, the result, John Riggs had a career high 4 touchdowns in the 49-21 win.

James Monroe and Bluefield have some differences in their attacks, but depth in the backfield isn't one of them. James Monroe has Robertson, Riggs, Jackson, Mullens, and Scarfino. Bluefield has the 2 Steptoes, Purdue, and oh yeah that quarterback names Rusty Coeburn. Any coach in the 2 Virginias would be lucky to have either set of players, and most would dread having to stop them.

is it just me or do i detect a bit of cockiness in these mav posts??..its like this..to be the man, you've got to beat the man..right now, Bluefield is the man...period

I must say as much as it pains me, I do agree that of the two teams Bluefield is the team to beat. And for any Mavs fans out there I'm not about to wave the white flag. However, I think that Bluefield can afford to make more mistakes Friday night than James Monroe. I'm with Go Mavs though, I hope our boys are fired up Friday night. I for one am not a bit cocky. The truth is I had already chalcked this up as a loss for us before the season started but my boys have overcome obstacles all season. Hopefully they'll bring their A game Friday night. GO MAVS!!!!!