Region C showdown

LegendatLegion

Lebanon 27 George Wythe 19

*definately worth the price of admission!!

Lebanon jumped out early 14-0 and then seemed to get overly conservative. they were mixing the pass and run very effectively at first then they tried to run only. This got GW right back into the game. They are smallish but quick. They were a threat everytime Lebanon tried to Punt, or kickoff. Lebanon would try to squib it everytime which only led to them (GW) getting the ball near midfield everytime. Davis (GW) runs as hard as anyone i've seen this year and they got him the ball a lot in the second quarter. This combined with Lebanon's near refusal to pass in the second made it 14-7 at the half. Lebanon bogged down most of third also, and GW took a 19-14 lead on a punt return in the third. Lebanon then started mixing it up effectively and went up 20-19 and the two point conversion failed. GW got the ball near midfield as per usual kickoff. Davis took it about 20 yards on the next play, then inexplicably was taken out and GW lost about 20 yards on the next two plays making it 3rd and 20+ and Lebanon recovered a fumble, then drove down and scored the final time with about 5 minutes left making it 27-19. GW had a couple of other chances, but an int and a fumble ended all hope near the end.

Synopsis: Both teams are talented at the skill positions, Lebanon is very tall, but they don't carry a lot of weight, with the exception of Pepper and #55. I think the best team won, by a smaller margin than it should have been. Davis is a good runner, and anyone around would love to have him. I would probably have to lean toward PV and GC as favorites over either one, just because of size more than anything. I don't think either team could control GC's rushing attack, but i am biased afterall smile.gif I just hope my Devils get a chance to find out. A good high school football game, worth the $5.

Good summary..I agree, Lebanon should have stayed with their game plan and not gotten so conservative. Actually, the first quarter Lebanon is what we're used to seeing, they got conservative in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and gave up the momentum, Lebanon had 11 first downs in the first half and GW had 2. Lebanon Shoulda stayed with what they do best.....attack.

What about that catch that Peck made? Was'nt that pretty? Miller was at his best throwing the ball, I thought they tried to run him too much, of course it's easy to sit here after a good nights sleep and coach. Phil is doing a good job with these boys and they seem more like a family than a football team, I've never seen a team that cared as much for each other than this team. Dotson may not be able to play the rest of this year but he's sure a boost for this team by just being there, he's a sparkplug, my heart goes out to him.

I agree. They are a very close team. And the over the shoulder catch Peck made was great. But the one handed catch that Drew made on the little slant across the middle was just awesome. And the sliding catch in the end zone wasn't to bad either.

Yeah, you're right, I guess I'm so used to seeing Drew catch everything thrown at him, I kinda take him for granted. I hope Miller will stay as poised the rest of the season a he was last night, I believe he was like 11 for 13 and 154 yards. I hope they can stay healthy thru the Richlands game, both teams play physical football and sacrifice their bodies, I hope they both come away without injuries.

This year is so fun, week 11 coming up and very little is decided as far as seeds and even who is in this year, as far as playoffs go! I would love to see GC and Lebanon met in the semis. (especially since it is close tongue.gif) A lot of things would need to fall into place before that happens though. Good win to the pioneers and it was fun to watch.

Thanks, it's a long road yet for Lebanon and Gate City to meet. Nobody takes one game at a time better than the Blue Devils. I believe you're like myself, you just love a good high school football game. Lebanon is open 11/12, I've been looking at the schedules trying to figure out where to go, probably be Floyd - Radford or Giles - Glenvar. Good luck