food for thought -- Freddy or Chmara?

total

i wasn't able to make it to the Bluefield/James Monroe game this past weekend, but i could pick up J104 after the game to get scores and details. one of the 1st things that was said was that, with the win, Freddy moves ahead of Chmara for wins. i don't know where i've been and why i hadn't heard about that coming, but it shocked me. not only is Chmara a legend to the football fans of Bluefield, but he had a certain mystique about him that commanded fear and respect from player and opponents. i never even met him but i've heard stories from my OLD ASS brother, and i have a certain amount of admiration for him because of what he did and what he meant to the program, the history, and the tradition. my question is, how does Freddy actually rank next to Chmara? we see the numbers and know that he now has 1 more, but does he have that same aura about him? does he get the same type of respect and admiration from players and opponents that Chmara did? what about from the fans? do the fans look at him the same way they looked at Chmara? i can still remember the grumblings around Bluefield when he was set to take over in '86 or '87... but he sure has hushed those critics. and what about Gainer? does Gainer have more wins then Simon or did Freddy already pass him? and does Freddy get looked upon the way Gainer did? just food for thought, and open for discussion.

thankx

Shane

I believe Gainer "only" had 96 wins in his nine seasons at Bluefield. I believe he was 96-4-1 during his coaching tenture at Beaver. He had four state titles and three other teams undefeated teams that didn't get a chance to play for the state title b/c of the moronic setup of deciding who played for the state title.

Quote:

"seems to be coach simon is just a regular coach with a really good team...nothing special i suppose. (no offense)"

Don't ever underestimate the value of coaching in high school football. It takes way more than just raw talent to make a successful team. Sometimes talent is hard to control from a coaching point of view. Just ask Mount View.

Freddy, still a relatively young man, will go down as one of the greatest coaches in the history of the school. The fact that he has surpassed the legendary Chamara speaks volumns, he also has taken the Beavers to Wheeling five times in the last ten years, a remarkable feat in and of itself.

ive questioned his coachin skills at times, like any good arm-chair coach but aside from bringing home the trophy from Wheeling, hes brought the BHS program along way and i commend him for it...also, hes a better coach than he is as jr high health/gyn teacher..im showin my age now i think