John Marshall 49, Beckley 35 - Final

Beckley_WWHS

Beckley ended a very disappointing regular season tonight at 2-8. This tied the worst ever record for a Beckley team. It had been done twice before.

John Marshall Kennedy candidate Zach Amedro passed for 293 yards and 3 TD's.

The three running backs of the future for Beckley did not disappoint tonight. Freshman Blaine Mayo rushed for 141 yards, 4 touchdowns, and a two point conversion. Freshman Marquel Ali rushed for 120 yards before having to be carried off the field in the third quarter. Junior Emeka Eneje added 79 yards at the fullback position.

Hopefully the team can turn it around next season. The last three years have certainly been disappointing. To be successful however, Beckley will have to improve in a lot of areas...

I agree, they must develop a strong offensive line again. I don't think the line has been nearly as strong the last two years and that has hurt the running game and it has also resulted in getting several kicks blocked this year. The QB has not had good protection either.

There are many other areas they have to improve in too. For one, the mental mistakes and drive killing penalties must stop. They are going to have to play smart football and cut down on all of the silly mistakes. They are going to have to cut down on the turnovers too. That was another real problem this season.

Another area that needs improvement is the kicking game. Kickoffs that only sail down to the 25 or 30 yard line just aren't gonna cut it. It puts the team in bad field position from the start. Also, there was no real field goal threat, even from close range. The kicking game was fairly good but when Prunesti left, they really struggled. It is hard for me to believe with a school of that size and such a good soccer team that they can't find a good kicker.

The defense needs a lot of work too. The defense gave up 30 points a game this season. Ouch! It sure would be nice to see a defense again like the 2001 team had that had numerous shutouts and only gave up 7 to 10 points a game.

I would really like the team to go to some form of the spread offense and stick with it. They need to develop some sort of a passing attack so other teams won't key so much on the running game. I think the team definitely has the athletes to go to some form of a spread offense. Not only are the three backs coming back, but there are two or three capable receivers returning as well and the QB returns, not to mention a good QB coming up out of the middle school program that will be a 9th grader next season.

Well I have rambled and rambled, lol, but this has been a very disappointing season and I'm just kind of reflecting on some of the things that I saw go wrong. There were some problems off the field too that I won't go into.

On a positive note though, Beckley seemed to play some better football the last four games of the season, especially the last couple of games. If not for penalties and turnovers, the games against Cabell Midland and John Marshall could have very easily been won.

I think it is good the long season is finally over. Hopefully everyone can step away for a little bit and take a breather before starting to prepare for next season. It has been a rough 10 games for everyone involved from the coaches to the players to the fans. Good luck to the team during the offseason.