Interesting stuff about the Big East...

GMan

"Borrowed" this post from the TSL message board. Will is owner/host of TSL.com...

Subject: "That league's in trouble."

Posted by: Will Stewart on Thu Nov 18 2004 9:56:42 AM

I was in BW3's last night, and the ESPN crew and Burnop and Roth were all there. Most of them left early, but Roth hung around and talked for a while.

One of the things we discussed was the Big East. Roth told me that Jake Crouthamel resigned from Syracuse yesterday (see Hokie News).

He said that since the ACC snubbed the Cuse, both the school president (Buzz Shaw) and now the AD have resigned.

Roth also said that last week's de facto Big East championship game of BC and WVU wasn't even on TV in Philly and NYC. He mentioned that the Big East football TV contract with ABC is in arbitration, and could be renegotiated to as low as $5 million per year from its

current $15 million or so. (We had heard $7-$8 million before).

"That league's in trouble," he said, and I agree. And Bill didn't say this with any pleasure, of course. He worked that league for over 10 years, has a lot of personal relationships in it, and is a Syracuse grad.

Just a reminder that that could have been us, folks. Never forget that. And while I have no love for the Big East, its schools, and its administrators (both at the AD and presidential level), I do have some sympathy for the fans of some proud programs that will not enjoy the next few years, or beyond.

Part II of the post regarding TV & $$$$$...

Subject: BTW, let me point out some numbers.

Posted by: Will Stewart on Thu Nov 18 2004 10:00:19 AM

Under the ACC's new football TV contracts, they'll be earning $37.6 million a year from ESPN/ABC and $4 million a year from JP-Raycom, for a total of $41.6 million per year.

The Big East is staring at $5 million a year.

WOW. The ACC will get almost as much from JP-Raycom as the Big East will get from ESPN/ABC.

THANK YOU ACC!!!!!!!!!!!