Mike Compton Article

ThatDude

[ QUOTE ]

Player Spotlight: Mike Compton

By John Raffel, NFLHS.com

In his 13th NFL season, Jacksonville offensive lineman Mike Compton is one of the most experienced players on his team.

But just like his high school football days, Compton points to one factor as the key behind his success: hard work.

"As a player, it's important to get in with your conditioning work and get the rough spots off," Compton said. "It's a chance for players to get reacquainted with each other. It's important for both coaches and players to get back into it."

Compton played high school football in Richlands, Va., a Class AA school in Virginia. The school has an enrollment around 1,000.

"They had a solid program," Compton said. "We didn't maybe win titles. But we were competitive. It was a good program. It was a good foundation for me."

Compton played both ways in high school.

"I was a center in high school," he said. "I also played defensive tackle."

Compton was the 68th player drafted in 1993 when the Lions made the West Virginia center their fourth pick of the draft and second in the third round.

Compton also played center at West Virginia. He transferred to guard prior to going to the pros.

"I figured if I wanted to play in the pros, I should play guard," he said.

It was during the high school ranks that Compton learned the key to being a successful football player.

"My mother (Marilene Compton), being the only parent in my life, I learned a lot from her," Compton said. "My offensive line coach (Bruce Sizemore) emphasized the importance of hard work. He said something good will always come out of hard work. You have to bust your tail off to reach your goal.

"This is my 12th year in the NFL and more than ever, you have to work extremely hard. There's always going to be competition. For that reason, you always have to be willing to sacrifice."

Compton has had a dream of playing football for many years. "I grew up in a part of Virginia where I was a big Pittsburgh Steeler fan," he said. "I was a big fan of Mike Webster, Terry Bradshaw and Franco Harris. I never grew up thinking I'd definitely go that far. There's so many other good ones who never got the opportunity.

"Even during college, I didn't think of myself good enough to play pro ball. The first time I figured I had the possibility was when they drafted me. My main focus had been to go to college and be the first one in my family to get through. I was going to use football as a way to get my foot in the door."

Compton has some critical advice for youngsters currently in high school with thoughts of having a pro career.

"I would remind them of the way I was brought up," he said. "If you can use football to better things in your life, especially educationally or in other areas, then do so, whether you play pro football or not.

"In the game or off the field, you have to be willing to sacrifice. In high school, I was lifting and running every day. There's no easy way out. I've sacrificed to work my hardest. I tell the kids to set your goals and do whatever you can to obtain that."

Right now, with the Jaguars, Compton's main goal is to help Jacksonville be an NFL title contender.

"I'm trying to get better on everything right now," he said. "We want to win our division and have a chance to win in the playoffs. I think we're right on schedule.”

Despite his devotion to his pro career, Compton spends a lot of time in his hometown.

"I'm still out there at the school in the summer, running and lifting a lot in the weight room," he said. "They got me going back in high school and I'm not going to change. My work ethic has been the same since I graduated from high school in 1988. Kids have to realize that to be successful, there's no shortcuts.

"You see so many people using steroids and drugs. There are no quick fixes ever and even at age 34, I don't want to do anything to embarrass my school or my mother. You have to pay the price. That's one thing football has taught me from high school to now."

Story courtesy Red Line Editorial, Inc.

© Copyright 2001 - 2004, the National Football League. All rights reserved.

Terms and Conditions Contact NFLHS Privacy Policy

[/ QUOTE ]

Good article, I'll quote it for archival purposes here grin.gif

If anyone from NFLHS complains I will delete it.