My extended thoughts on Bluefield/Keyser

Bluefield_Rules

The first half was marred by a flag-happy group of officials with the majority being thrown Bluefield's direction. The Beaver offense couldn't get a rhythm either with the flags raining down like a monsoon. However, the Beaver defense stepped up big-time throughout the first half, and the entire game for that matter. Bluefield held the monster of a fullback, MJ Twyman to a mere 15 rushing yards. If I’m not mistaken, he hadn’t been held below 100 yards rushing the entire season. Bluefield also picked off two Keyser passes and the funny thing is that two of Keyser’s longer receptions came after a Bluefield player batted the ball. Keyser’s only touchdown was on a drive that started at the Bluefield 11-yardline after a two 15-yard penalties on Bluefield. One was for a facemask and the other on the Bluefield bench after one of the coaches blew up over the fact another penalty flag was thrown on Bluefield. On a 4th down and eight from the nine-yard line Keyser’s QB found his receiver in the endzone for their only score of the night.

The special teams also stepped up as Bluefield blocked a Keyser punt that Jonathan Repass picked up for a touchdown and Mike Davis took back a punt for a TD in the second half. Additionally, Lucas Stone broke the state playoff record for the most field goals in a game with three and tied the state playoff record for the longest field made at 39-yards. He also had a couple of outstanding punts in the second quarter with the Beavers pinned deep in their own territory.

The offense stepped up it’s game in the second half. They opened the half with a drive that resulted in a FG, and then marched down the field again on the next possession before Quentin Steptoe fumbled a pass completion inside the Keyser 30 fighting for a first down. However, Keyser would throw an interception a few plays later and on the final play of the 3rd quarter David Perdue broke off a 30+ yard TD run that broke Keyser’s back.

Keyser had a very nice team that fought until the final horn. They were big and physical with some nice skill position players. You could tell though that they hadn’t had their running game shutdown like it was today and been forced to pass a great deal. They did complete a couple of passes, something like 5-15. A lot of outstanding sportsmanship was shown following the game as a couple of Keyser players congratulated Stone on his record after his final FG. I also saw a number of the Keyser players giving David Perdue some love as well toward the end of the game. That kid seems to earn the respect of everyone that he plays against and rightfully so b/c he’s the toughest pound-for-pound football I’ve ever seen.

I certainly hope the Keyser team and all their fans had/have a safe return back to the eastern panhandle. They have nothing to be ashamed of; they had a great season. They also played very well and never gave in today.

I think it should also be noted that Bluefield's kicker, Lucas Stone, was invited to the Harvard/Yale game today by Harvard. He is being recruited by them to kick and for his academics as he scored a 1600 on his SAT. Obviously though, he had other things to do today...lol

[ QUOTE ]

How many penalty yards did Blfd end up with? We were wondering if Blfd. had more penalty yards than Keyser had in offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the first half, they surely did. Keyser only had 38 yards of total offense at halftime. I don't know the final number of penalties for Bluefield, but it was too many...lol

I talked to my dad about the game, got some thoughts from him too.

He echoed that the defense looked pretty good. He felt the offense never got fully going, partially due to flags.

My dad also mentioned that he wondered if the team wasn't fully up for the game...I said that with Weir coming up, if there was ever a game to play at 90%, this was it.

I'm guessing that Weir will pick Saturday, and if so, I may make the drive from Atlanta to Bluefield Friday and stay over for the game. It's been a couple years since I've seen the team play.

And Weir...I remember seeing them in Mitchell when Quincy Wilson was their RB. I was amazed then, seeing him take hits from Ricky Disibbio and Shawn Dews and stay standing. Weir has a heck of a program up there, and their dismantling of James Monroe means we better be ready for them.

Also, other than Lucas Stone (1600? Wow...wish I could have done that!), is anybody being looked at? I would think Coeburn would be able to contribute somewhere, maybe even Perdue as a WR and KR.

A drive from Atlanta to Bluefield is a long haul, but if there was ever a game to make that drive for it'll be next weekend. Remember too, with the state championship being played on a Friday night and schools being out for the holiday Weir could decide to play on Friday night...

Coeburn, at 6'3" and 220, should be getting looks from someone. I know he could play for, at the very least, Concord and goodness knows they could use some players. I'd say Daniel Wells has to be getting some looks as well, but he's also an outstanding student and could very well go somewhere for academics. Wells’ father is a pharmacist in Bluefield and his brother, Ronnie, which played for Bluefield in the mid-1990s is a biochemist in the Chicago area. The intelligence genes in that family are off the charts...lol

[ QUOTE ]

A drive from Atlanta to Bluefield is a long haul, but if there was ever a game to make that drive for it'll be next weekend. Remember too, with the state championship being played on a Friday night and schools being out for the holiday Weir could decide to play on Friday night...

Coeburn, at 6'3" and 220, should be getting looks from someone. I know he could play for, at the very least, Concord and goodness knows they could use some players. I'd say Daniel Wells has to be getting some looks as well, but he's also an outstanding student and could very well go somewhere for academics. Wells’ father is a pharmacist in Bluefield and his brother, Ronnie, which played for Bluefield in the mid-1990s is a biochemist in the Chicago area. The intelligence genes in that family are off the charts...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's about a 7 hour drive, give or take a bathroom stop or two...

I'd make the trip for more than the game, my dad is still in Bluefield, and I haven't been in town since July 2003...so I'd have more than one reason to come in.

Still, for about 6 weeks in early 2003, I made the trip from Christiansburg to Atlanta on Sunday night, and from Atlanta to Christiansburg on Friday night...was working here and my wife and child were still in C-Burg. I'm VERY used to that drive, so I may just do it, even if the game is on Friday, I have Thursday and Friday off, so if I leave Friday morning, I can be there in plenty of time.

I'll keep a watch to see when game time will be, that'll be decided tomorrow, I assume.

Wells is the center, right? What does he run, about 6'1 and 220-ish? Probably not big enough for a big-time program on offensive line, but with some good strength training, I am guessing he could be a heck of a defender, or if he has speed and hands, a fullback or TE.

Well should know the day and time of the game by tomorrow around noon.

Yes, Wells is 6'1", 220 and the starting center on offense. He's also one of the starting linebackers and IMO is one of the most underrated players for Bluefield. You don't hear a lot about him since he plays on the OL offensively, but on defense at linebacker he has been a monster the past three years. He's the vocal, emotional leader of the team whereas Coeburn leads more by example. He could definitely play linebacker at some level of college next year if he elects to. Again though, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to school for academics...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's about a 7 hour drive, give or take a bathroom stop or two...

I'd make the trip for more than the game, my dad is still in Bluefield, and I haven't been in town since July 2003...so I'd have more than one reason to come in.

Still, for about 6 weeks in early 2003, I made the trip from Christiansburg to Atlanta on Sunday night, and from Atlanta to Christiansburg on Friday night...was working here and my wife and child were still in C-Burg. I'm VERY used to that drive, so I may just do it, even if the game is on Friday, I have Thursday and Friday off, so if I leave Friday morning, I can be there in plenty of time.

I'll keep a watch to see when game time will be, that'll be decided tomorrow, I assume.

Wells is the center, right? What does he run, about 6'1 and 220-ish? Probably not big enough for a big-time program on offensive line, but with some good strength training, I am guessing he could be a heck of a defender, or if he has speed and hands, a fullback or TE.

[/ QUOTE ]

To respond to myself, I found the roster on the official BHS site:

BHS Football page

Looks like Wells is listed at 6'1" and 221, so he's got decent size, and probably some mass to gain. And I love to see the smart kids do well, sounds like he does have some good family genetics, or perhaps some good family support.

Ideally you shouldn't have favorites, but Wells is my favorite player on the current team and has been for the past three years. He plays with such a passion, enthusiasm, and love for the game on the field. I really enjoy watching players like that and I’ve enjoyed watching him play. It’s going to be tough to lose these seniors; they all play with great desire and passion.