Bluefield readies for tough game....

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2004/11/25/sports/01beavers.txt

Beavers expect tough road with Red Riders

Posted: Wednesday, Nov 24, 2004 - 08:24:07 pm EST

By DUSTY HARMAN

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD - The last time Bluefield and Weir met during the playoffs, it took two extra periods to declare a winner.

On Saturday, both teams meet again at John Chmara Field/Mitchell Stadium, the same place where the Beavers pulled out a 37-30, double-overtime victory to advance to the 2003 state semifinals.

"I look for the same type of game this time," Bluefield coach Fred Simon said. "They are very talented. They match up with us very well."

This season the stakes are even higher, with the winner of the 1:30 p.m. semifinal advancing to the Class AA state championship game against either No. 8 Shady Spring (10-2) or No. 2 Wayne (12-0).

Bluefield is looking to get back there for the third straight year, while Weir is looking for their first title berth since beating Dupont 20-17 in 1998.

Coincidentally, the Beavers downed Quincy Wilson and the Red Riders en route to Bluefield's last state title in 1997.

Saturday's contest should provide a chance to shine for both the top-rated Beavers (12-0) and the No. 5 Red Riders (10-2), neither of which have been challenged during the postseason.

Bluefield rolled to a 58-0 victory over 16th-ranked Mount View in the first round, and put together 23 unanswered second-half points to down eighth-rated Keyser 36-7 last week.

Weir, meanwhile, thrashed No. 12 Lincoln 57-14 before putting together an even more impressive - and just as dominant - 63-22 victory over No. 4 James Monroe at Lindside.

"They ran well and they threw well," Simon said of Weir. "I just saw the stats in the paper; I didn't get to see the game. But from what I could read, they must have put it all together. To put 63 points on the board, you must be doing something right."

The Red Riders set a pair of playoff records in their second-round romp: quarterback Brandon Sperlazza tossed eight touchdown passes - including five to senior Jack Crow - both of which set new state marks.

Weir also boasts a West Virginia University recruit in Zac Cooper, a versatile senior that is equally dangerous at fullback and at linebacker.

"Quality-wise, they are as good a football team as we've faced all year," Simon said.

That would include Bluefield's biggest win of the season, a 31-28 thriller over then-Class AAA No. 1 Martinsburg - a team which is still alive as the No. 2 seed in their playoffs.

"I would say that Martinsburg's offense may be a little better than they are, but defensively, they are better than Martinsburg. ...," Simon said. "They definitely are capable of beating us. We've got to come ready to play. If we're not ready, things won't turn out well for us."

The Beavers also set a pair of milestones in their win over the Golden Tornado. Lucas Stone's three field goals broke the former state mark, and the Bluefield defense tied a record by forcing Keyser to punt nine times.

Leading the defensive charge was Daniel Wells and Tracy Coppola, who each tallied 12 tackles in the victory. Coppola also blocked a punt that was return by Jonathan Repass for a score.

Offensively, Michael Davis had 146 all-purpose yards, including a 38-yard touchdown reception and a punt return for a score.

Repass added 126 yards receiving as quarterback Rusty Coeburn finished with 220 yards through the air.

"I think people are in for a great football game," Simon said. "This will be a great playoff game, and it will be exciting. They'll get their money's worth."

- Contact Dusty Harman

dharman@bdtonline.com