postgame Weir vs Bluefield Article

bsfoy

The Herald-Star

Steubenville, Ohio

http://www.hsconnect.com/sports/story/1130202004_spt01sports113004.asp

Joe Filberto's actions won't hurt Weir programs

WEIRTON - Saturday's heated exchanges and the actions of Weir High football offensive coordinator Joe Filberto will not adversely affect Weir's athletic programs, school officials said Monday.

Filberto was handcuffed and detained by Bluefield City Police following Saturday's 21-20 loss in overtime to Bluefield during the West Virginia Class AA football semifinals.

Filberto, the son of head coach Tony Filberto, had unpleasant words with one of Weir's players and fans. The incident could have escalated into physical violence if cooler heads hadn't prevailed, people familiar with the situation said. Joe Filberto wasn't charged.

"The state commission just wanted to know about what we were doing to handle the situation, but this is entirely an in-house matter," said Weir Athletic Director Jack Kostur. "The state commission is not going take further steps. Saturday's unfortunate event will not affect our probation."

Weir's football program has been on probation since a West Virginia Secondary School Athletic Conference appeals board decision of Oct. 28. It was discovered that an academically ineligible player competed in the Riders' first two games of the season. The state's commission ruled that Weir would not have to forfeit the two victories, but rather was put in a 365-day probationary period. Officials said at the time that any infraction during that period would bring immediate censor and stiff penalties.

"What happened this past Saturday is a civil and school matter. The confrontations took place between a Weir coach, players and fans. Then it became a civil matter when the (Bluefield) Police became involved," said Weir Principal Martin Hudek.

"The commission recognizes that, so they will not become involved."

The unfortunate event unfolded because an unidentified Weir player came to the sideline after the loss to Bluefield and berated Joe Filberto about the coach's choice of plays. With 2:28 left to play in regulation, Weir led 14-0 and was at fourth-and-2 deep in Bluefield's territory. Instead of running the ball, which the Riders had done successfully the entire contest, Weir went for a swing pass. Quarterback Brandon Sperlazza was picked off by Michael Davis, who ran it back 70 yards for a touchdown.

With still more than two minutes to play, the Beavers recovered an onside kick. With no timeouts remaining, Bluefield drove down the field and scored on a fourth down, 1-yard run by Derrick Steptoe with no time remaining on the clock. The extra point tied the game at 14 and sent the contest into overtime.

Bluefield took the ball first and scored on a 12-yard run by Quintin Steptoe. The extra point made it 21-14. Weir scored during its possession in overtime, on a 2-yard pass from Sperlazza to Justin Pernell. But when it came to the extra point, the Riders fell short and lost the game.

That's when the unidentified player had his confrontation with Joe Filberto and accused the coach of costing Weir the victory. The exchange escalated to the point where Joe Filberto and the player had to be restrained from each other.

Eventually, Joe Filberto and the player were separated and the two seemed to be calming down.

Then, Joe Filberto began to exchange words with Weir fans and charged the stands. The unidentified player became involved once again, and at that point the Bluefield Police wrestled Joe Filberto to the ground and handcuffed him. He was detained until everyone had left the stadium.

"What we had was a very disappointing and depressing situation, as emotions ran away with some people," Hudek said. "I hope everyone can remember the good season the football team had and not let the incident tarnish it."

As for Joe Filberto's future as a Weir football coach, Hudek was tight-lipped.

"We're glad that there will be no penalties from the state, but we still have to handle this problem. We are conducting an investigation and will follow all of Hancock County and Weir school policies and procedures. It's a long process and it will take time before any decisions are made."

At the very least, he should be suspended from coaching for this, I don't know if he's worthy of banishment, because I didn't see it. This guy should thank that player, and the police for keeping him from going into the stands, because I hate to think of what they would've done to him after that play call.

SSAC Probation in WV = A JOKE

So Weir was already on probation for using an ineligible player and then this incident occurred and the SSAC acts like its no big deal because it was an "In house Incident". How could that be considered In house when it happened the way it did? I say FIRE the bum for acting the way he did. I dont care how much crap he had to listen to after that loss. A person in that role CAN NOT act they way Mr. Filberto did... I'm sorry, no excuses... I dont care how emotional it was...

Also... did Weir have to forfeit those two games they used the ineligible player? I don't think so... now if that had been Bluefield that done that, we would have had to forfeit those two games... no post season play and gawd knows what else...

I agree with you that they should fired the coach that was in the dispute! But the whole team shouldn't be punished for his actions.

Nope for some reason they didn't have to forfeit those games. Who knows why though?? the system is crazy LOL

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that they should fired the coach that was in the dispute! But the whole team shouldn't be punished for his actions.

Nope for some reason they didn't have to forfeit those games. Who knows why though?? the system is crazy LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, they didn't have to forfeit them...my guess is that most any southern WV team would have been forced to.

Perhaps the WVSSAC wanted to make sure that there was SOMEONE who could challenge Bluefield. In my opinion, the WVSSAC has been corrupt for some time...witness the whole shenanigans of keeping the title game in Wheeling.

[ QUOTE ]

SSAC Probation in WV = A JOKE

So Weir was already on probation for using an ineligible player and then this incident occurred and the SSAC acts like its no big deal because it was an "In house Incident". How could that be considered In house when it happened the way it did? I say FIRE the bum for acting the way he did. I dont care how much crap he had to listen to after that loss. A person in that role CAN NOT act they way Mr. Filberto did... I'm sorry, no excuses... I dont care how emotional it was...

Also... did Weir have to forfeit those two games they used the ineligible player? I don't think so... now if that had been Bluefield that done that, we would have had to forfeit those two games... no post season play and gawd knows what else...

[/ QUOTE ]

So true..if this wasn't worthy of a "second offense", what on earth is? Another cheating scandal?

I wonder if there is any kind of precedent...I can't imagine any southern WV team being let off the hook for using an ineligible player.

I wonder if there is any kind of precedent...I can't imagine any southern WV team being let off the hook for using an ineligible player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Single A Wahama got the same treatment for ineligible player.

The boy moved to WV from Ohio where he was was eligible to play. I am not sure who dropped the ball with looking at his trancripts but WV standards are higher than OH and it turned out to be a semester issue not an overall grade point of which he had 2.7. The boy played a few plays in each game with little impact. The scores were collectivly 83-12. That is why the SSAC ruled the way they did. Had those games been taken away we still would have made play offs.