Emory & Henry's administrators....

RichlandsAlum

[ QUOTE ]

I was young at the time but I remember Ginn being a great kicker at Richlands. I didn't follow his college career too much though. What has he done since then? Has he been coaching?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack has a pretty impressive resume.

Check it out at the following URL:

<a>http://annex.ncwc.edu/athletics/Football/jginn.html</a>

It's worth noting that his NC Wesleyan team finished over .500 in the very first year of the program's existence. He also served as Director of Admissions for E&H during his previous stint there as an assistant coach.

[ QUOTE ]

Looks like he would be a logical choice. Who are the candidates?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know. In a story dated 11/19, the Bristol Herald-Courier alluded to a "nationwide" search, although the author (Allen Gregory) seemed to be promoting current Wasp assistant Dewey Lusk for the position.

No knock on Lusk (or anyone else), but assuming that they can acquire Ginn's services, they'll be hard pressed to find a better qualified candidate.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not familiar with NC Wesleyan. Would E&H be a step up, or just a lateral move?

[/ QUOTE ]

In straight terms of classification, it would probably be a lateral move. Wesleyan is a Division III school playing in the USA South Conference (same league as Ferrum).

Several intangibles at work here, though.

Working against Emory is the fact that NC Wesleyan is a start-up program. Jack was selected from a very large pool of applicants to put the football program together from scratch, and I'm certain that he feels a strong obligation to see that through.

On the positive side, I know that E&H is probably Jack's "dream job." And if they were to hire him, he'd probably retire there given the opportunity to do so.

I hope he gets the chance if that's what he wants. It was nice to learn what he's been doing the past 15 years. I don't remember too many Richlands players from his time, but I do remember Jack and his brother Mark.

[ QUOTE ]

I hope he gets the chance if that's what he wants. It was nice to learn what he's been doing the past 15 years. I don't remember too many Richlands players from his time, but I do remember Jack and his brother Mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark's another "local boy made good." He's a tenured professor of mathematics at Appalachian State. Ran into both of them going into the Bassett game.

Genuinely good folks, both of them. And excellent ambassadors for RHS.

The rumor is that there are over 90 applicants for the job...including one of the coordinators from Mt. Union, the defensive coordinator from James Madison, and the former coach at Southern Utah (Allen Gregory's brother?). Also, I heard that Heath Shuler had applied???? Don't know if that is even close to being accurate, but those are the rumors around Emory. Personally, I pray that Dewey Lusk does not get the job - look at the E&H baseball program !! Getting back to the point, I have heard that Coach Ginn hasn't applied as of yet - that he is liking the situation he is in @ NCWC. Anyways, I hope that they get a good candidate, and I would love for Coach Ginn to be the man!!! smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The rumor is that there are over 90 applicants for the job...including one of the coordinators from Mt. Union, the defensive coordinator from James Madison, and the former coach at Southern Utah (Allen Gregory's brother?). Also, I heard that Heath Shuler had applied???? Don't know if that is even close to being accurate, but those are the rumors around Emory. Personally, I pray that Dewey Lusk does not get the job - look at the E&H baseball program !! Getting back to the point, I have heard that Coach Ginn hasn't applied as of yet - that he is liking the situation he is in @ NCWC. Anyways, I hope that they get a good candidate, and I would love for Coach Ginn to be the man!!! smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably one of the more attractive jobs in Division III, so I'm not surprised by the number of rumored applicants. This post does raise a couple of questions, though.

You sure it's the DC at JMU? That would be George Barlow, who has no ties to the area. Curt Newsome, the assistant head coach, is an Emory grad. I would think that he'd be more likely to be interested in coming home (although he's also rumored to be an up and comer in the larger college ranks).

Last I heard, Heath Shuler's in real estate in Knoxville. Can't imagine that he'd be willing to take what would likely amount to a pay cut.

I'm sure that E&H will have its pick of several excellent candidates. But if they're looking for someone who can be successful and who is willing to stay there once he is, they really need to be pursuing Jack Ginn instead of simply waiting for him to apply.

Otherwise, I predict that they'll be going through this process again within five years. Either the new coach won't produce, or he'll use it as a stepping stone.

It's no skin off my nose, but those of you with Emory connections ought to stay plugged into this one.

As I said, those are the rumors that are going around the Emory community...and yes, I do believe they are talking about Curt Newsome - everyone has referred to him as the Def. Coord. @ JMU - I didn't know that he was not the Def. Coord. ----- anyways, I actually heard that Newsome would take the job if he could make at least $60,000 - which is probably about what Emory will offer. Also, I agree that if Jack isn't the one, they will go through the process again in a couple of years. confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

As I said, those are the rumors that are going around the Emory community...and yes, I do believe they are talking about Curt Newsome - everyone has referred to him as the Def. Coord. @ JMU - I didn't know that he was not the Def. Coord. ----- anyways, I actually heard that Newsome would take the job if he could make at least $60,000 - which is probably about what Emory will offer. Also, I agree that if Jack isn't the one, they will go through the process again in a couple of years. confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense.

I think Newsome's a great coach, and I think he'd do a tremendous job at Emory. I personally don't think he'd stay there, but he'd be worth the "gamble" in that regard.

Then again, there's always Terry Smith. wink.gif