UNC watched Kenny Belton last night...

Bluefield_Rules

Carolina assistant, Steve Robinson was on hand last night in Roanoke to watch Salem's Kenny Belton.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/highschool/15514.html

Spartans get season jump-started

A pair of Puerto Rican players lead a 15-1 second-half run that lifts Salem in its opener.

By Robert Anderson 981-3123

The Roanoke Times

Ninety seconds into Salem's basketball game Wednesday night against visiting William Fleming, sophomore Kenny Belton caught a pass in the post, spun into the lane and threw down a two-handed monster slam dunk.

Not a bad way to score the Spartans' first two points of the season.

The rest of Salem's season opener was a bit more of a struggle. The Spartans stopped Fleming 52-40, overcoming a sloppy first half with a defensive effort that held the Colonels to just 14 field goals.

"I wanted to get the 'W,'" Salem coach Grant Smythers said. "We knew it was going to be a tough game. Anytime you play your first game against a team that's athletic and has a few games under their belt, you're just trying to get the 'W.'"

That stands for a win in any language. A large portion of the credit goes to Salem's two transfers from Puerto Rico - Yanni'El DeJesus and Melvin Felix - who combined the Spartans' first 11 points of the third quarter.

DeJesus, a 6-foot-4 junior forward who played on the same high school team last year as Washington Wizards draft choice Peter John Ramos, hurt Fleming inside and outside. DeJesus drilled two jump shots and stuck back a pair of offensive rebounds, helping Salem on a decisive 15-1 run that produced a 41-31 lead.

"Yanni'El's a solid player," Smythers said. "The thing I like about him is he's steady. He understands how to play. He's very confident on the floor. That's something we need, because we're extremely young."

Salem lost four starters off last year's team that won the Region III championship and reached the Group AA semifinals.

Smythers won't be getting any sympathy from Fleming coach Mickey Hardy.

"They play hard, and they reload," Hardy said.

Felix, who scored two third-quarter buckets on snowbird layups, was a factor defensively. The 5-foot-10 sophomore helped put the clamps on Fleming sharpshooter James Otey.

"We had whoever was guarding Otey in total denial the whole night," Smythers said. "We played no help off him. They stayed on him the whole night and were not to give help at all.

"I thought Felix did a heck of a job guarding him. He's extremely quick and he loves to run. He never gets tired. We just need to find him early and get him the ball often."

Otey hit two 3-pointers in the first half but managed to squeeze off just eight shots and finished with eight points. The rest of the Colonels were 11-for-42.

"We've got to get Otey more shots," Hardy said.

Junior forward Michael Harvey led Fleming with 14 points, using his quickness off the floor to cause Salem problems on the glass. Dewayne Priest scored 11 points for the Colonels.

Felix was happy to get things started in the wake of Salem's extended football season. In the house to see Belton were Virginia Tech coach Seth Greenberg and North Carolina assistant Steve Robinson, a Fleming graduate.

"We have a lot of fun and the fans are amazing," Felix said. "That first basket got us pumped."

WILLIAM FLEMING (40)

Hicks 1 1-2 3, Harvey 5 4-8 14, Coleman 1 0-2 2, Otey 3 0-0 8, Priest 4 2-4 11, Gravely 0 0-0 0, Curtis 0 0-0 0, Jones 0 0-0 0, Hall 0 2-2 2. Totals 14 9-18 40.

SALEM (52)

Hanabury 0 1-2 1, Peery 2 2-2 6, Belton 5 1-4 11, Felix 2 0-0 4, Adams 2 0-0 5, DeJesus 5 2-2 13, Webb 3 0-0 6, Lewis 1 0-0 2, Spaulding 2 0-0 4, Gaines 0 0-0 0. Totals 22 6-10 52.

William Fleming14 9 8 9-40

Salem10 14 15 13-52

Three-point goals: William Fleming 3 (Otey 2, Priest), Salem 2 (Adams, DeJesus).

JV: Salem, 32-27.

[ QUOTE ]

Carolina assistant, Steve Robinson was on hand last night in Roanoke to watch Salem's Kenny Belton.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ummmmmmmmmmm...Dude....the game Belton played in last night was in Salem..!! We are kind of partial to the correct name for the Championship City.!!!! Just joshing with ya, but did you make it to the game also??? It wasn't spectacular, but it was a good start to a long season for the Spartans. I hope the crowds continue to come. Oh yeah, the Holiday Hoopla tickets went on sale today at the Salem Civic Center. Better get one while ya can..!!!!!

[ Any advice on which Salem game I should watch during the event?

[/ QUOTE ]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have yet to see any brackets for the Hooplas but I would advise to see all the Salem match ups..!!! This season should be very interesting for Salem.