Historic question for Bluefield fans...

Bluefield_Rules

I'm obviously bored, so I was just looking back over some numbers from the past three years and calculated an interesting stat. Rusty Coeburn was 34-5 as a starting QB for Bluefield for his career, which is a winning percentage of 87.2%. I was curious if anyone knew of a past Bluefield QB with more wins as a starter or a better winning percentage that started at least two years worth of games?

was Rusty the starter when we started out 0-4 in 2002??? i thought he stepped in after that QB (Sudduth maybe) had a couple of concussions and decided to change his sport. if that is the case, then he only had 2 defeats (02 and 03 title games). his regular season percentage would have been 100%

He started at QB from the 2002 Oak Hill game onward, which means he lost to Oak Hill, James Monroe, and Poca as the starter in 2002. We didn't start out 0-4 in 2002, we started out 1-3.

The decision to quit football wasn't really up to IV Sudduth, he suffered a couple of conscussions and then a serious one in the 2002 Princeton game. Afterwards, the doctors told him he shouldn't play football anymore, so the decision was made for him at that point.

i couldn't remember at what point he started... and i forgot about JM. so, in the regular season - he lost twice in 3 years. overall - he lost 4 times

the decision is never truly made by a Dr... the Dr. can only give the suggestion. when i blew out my knee and broke my leg, i was told by the Dr. that i shouldn't play again due to the severity of the injury. i wasn't having it and played against the Dr's suggestion. yes, there's a difference between a knee/leg and someone's head, but i would have continued to play even if i had 10 concussions (and i did have 2 - both in my Jr year)

I don't believe the school/SSAC would have allowed him to play for insurance reasons. He could possbily have signed a waiver, but I don't know if they do that in high school sports or not though. Regardless, it was probably the best for the young man that he didn't play anymore so to not suffer further blows to the head.

Brandon Sarver was 22-1 (95.6%), Pete Sarver was 19-0 (you do the math) as starting quarterbacks for the Bluefield Beavers, A.K.A. "The Football Capital of West Virginia" As far as I know, Rusty is the only BHS QB to start for 3 years. Congrats to Rusty on being named captain!

I'm not sure if Coeburn was actually the QB all season long in '02. I can remember clearly that he wasnt the qb against mt view that year, because i remember sudduth throwing the ball away a couple of times when he would get under pressure?? as for rusty's winning percentage, and the yards and tds to go with it. you cant do nothing but congratulate him on a wonderful career at BHS, as long with his fellow seniors who have been there with him!