Gregory is Gone

SALTSHAKER

[ QUOTE ]

Can anyone tell us about the school and its history of football?

[/ QUOTE ]

Abingdon was pretty good back in the 70's up through the mid 80's, even won a couple of SWD titles back in the day when it was a 10/11 team district, but things have been downhill ever since the creation of the Highlands District. A good season for them now is anything .500 or above (which is rare and sad, considering the schedule they play and the number of kids they have to choose from)...lots of "politics", parents like to be in control rather than letting the coaches handle things.

A story being posted on the lpd sports forum says the coach took his starters out after the outcome was decided, and the starters took their pads and helmets off. The coach told them to put them back on and get up off the bench and stand with their teammates, and some of the players cursed the coach. If I was the coach, I would have been upset and yelled at them too. The story goes on to say that the parents of the players being yelled at went to the school board over it. I'm just repeating what was said. I have no direct knowledge of what happened, and couldn't pick their coach out of a line-up.

[ QUOTE ]

duran carson....he is that guy's brother, just a different last name...and he is playing as far as i know

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Duran is still playing. He is the best RB in SWVA, but maybe I am biased, but I really do believe that.

you are a little biased i think. thats ok though. if he were the best back in swva abingdon should have won those close games with vh and tazwell. if hed were the best back he would have made some big plays for abingdon and made things happen. i have watched him play, hes good but no were near the best. i would maybe put him in the top 10

please remington tells us all what really happened you or someone said they would tell us when it was finished so lets here the story from your point of view. why is he allowed to teach at a middle school.

yea, a bunch of posters said they'd tell it all when something offically happened...well, he's fired....so, instead of making vague statements...step up and tell us what exactly happened...and explain to me...how a man can be fired for being too mean to his players..but he can still teach middle school...doesnt add up...sounds like the parents won. im not going to attack or make fun of the program at abingdon, but i just wish someone would spill the beans....because, i really don't think there is anything to the story except that some influential parents got their way. if thats not the case...why won't you guys tell us what really happened. i heard alot of hints to the fact that he had done something wrong in school...well, that can't be the case or they wouldn't allow the man to work with middle schoolers. something smells fishy.

I really wish the Abingdon people would just stop posting if they are not going to say anything of substance about the subject...which is, why is Gregory gone? Is it for yelling? That's all we've heard..that and a few vague comments about how bad things were...and no one has explained to me how a guy is too mean to coach a tough, physical sport like football..but isn't too tough to teach middle schoolers.

some things in life youll never know, get used to it.. and we will leave it at that, to be honest with you, u know as much as i do. what i do know is he is gone now, and theres nothing anyone can do about it... its old news.....

[ QUOTE ]

you are a little biased i think. thats ok though. if he were the best back in swva abingdon should have won those close games with vh and tazwell. if hed were the best back he would have made some big plays for abingdon and made things happen. i have watched him play, hes good but no were near the best. i would maybe put him in the top 10

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't Duran's fault on either games. Both games late INT's helped them win the game by placing the opponent in range to scored. For WHS it was the go ahead, and for Tazewell it was to tie it. I think if he had a very good line (Ours is starting to gel now), he could be the best. Caleb is really good, Eccelston is good, Rasnick and the other guy from Tazewell are good. Not to metion others, but with what he has around him, Duran IS the best back. I bet you anything he averages 15 broken tackles a game, at least two or three guys he runs over, and he catches the ball too. But maybe I still am biased, I just really believe it.

Last years roster the JV team was included 9th grade and 10th grade on the roster, and most of those 9th and 10th graders did not play.This year there are no JV players on Varsity.No one quit.