Battle Football

Chappy

Only thing I remember about Graham football is a big, hairy RB named Eddie Hall (I think was his name) running over me when I tried to tackle him high.  That was way back in the day but that dude about killed me on that play.  Still cringe thinking about it.  Never was hit so hard before or since.

Only thing I remember about Graham football is a big, hairy RB named Eddie Hall (I think was his name) running over me when I tried to tackle him high.  That was way back in the day but that dude about killed me on that play.  Still cringe thinking about it.  Never was hit so hard before or since.

LOL!  Eddie ran over a lot of folks!  He was a senior my freshman year, truly a man among boys both on and off of the playing field.  He could shave before school, have a five o'clock shadow by first period, and a full beard by lunch. LOL!  He is one of the few players I've ever seen that could take control of the game on both sides of the ball...he would run over you on offense and blow you up on defense.  Jake Houseright from Gate City was another one that could do it.

I would almost guarantee that I saw him run over you, never missed a game back then...

Thats my understanding as well.  But this could cause problems; with him still holding a teachers position that is one less position open to bring in a new coach; also if the new coach is from outside how will he feel about the former coach still there? Just thinking about potential problems or conversation starters.

It has worked out fine for Galax.  The former head coach was even been asked by the incoming head coach to become a full time assistant.  I think it depends heavily on the individuals.  If they are mature adults who can respect one another and their respective roles within the program and community, it can be a huge asset having extra head coaching experience on staff.  As a matter of fact, Galax has 5 current or former head coaches on the sidelines including the current boys basketball coach.