Gate City fans

HM3-8404

Whether Turner applied for the job or not, (my source still said he did) the problem facing S.W Va. schools is that the area is dying, there are no jobs and no families moving here and if someone can get out and better themselves you must do that professionally. Right now Union has a lot of talent but Big Stone is dying just like Lee Co. and the rest of our end of the state. I wonder how long Wise, Lee and Dickenson Co. can keep afloat. It is depressing to drive up 23 and see the mine silent, the heavy equipment places silent and all the support systems for mining shutting down. When the mines shut down so does Caterpillar and Halliburton and Austin Powder and the engineering firms and the coal dealers and then the car lots and restaurants. Gate City may be down a little but it is kind of insulated from the mines because of Kingsport so it will be back, and Union's talent can't last forever. They should have went to State last season.   

I know Union's talent can't and won't last forever. My point is that given what all Turner has at Union, like support and a stable program, it doesn't make sense that he would leave at the moment. Everyone is aware of how bad off our end of the state is. Gate City's proximity to Kingsport helps them out. 

I just doubt that Turner has applied. If your source said he did then perhaps he did. I, along with others, doubt that's the case.

If tw could have a stable head coach, the bell county and Claiborne pipeline would fill fast. Everyone in the tri state area knows the rep TW/va schools has for academics. Granted it's not kingsport but it would aid, just lost a lineman (not that I blame him) to middlesboro.

Whether Turner applied for the job or not, (my source still said he did) the problem facing S.W Va. schools is that the area is dying, there are no jobs and no families moving here and if someone can get out and better themselves you must do that professionally. Right now Union has a lot of talent but Big Stone is dying just like Lee Co. and the rest of our end of the state. I wonder how long Wise, Lee and Dickenson Co. can keep afloat. It is depressing to drive up 23 and see the mine silent, the heavy equipment places silent and all the support systems for mining shutting down. When the mines shut down so does Caterpillar and Halliburton and Austin Powder and the engineering firms and the coal dealers and then the car lots and restaurants. Gate City may be down a little but it is kind of insulated from the mines because of Kingsport so it will be back, and Union's talent can't last forever. They should have went to State last season.   

Given the overall situation in the area and the hospital closure, Lee didn't really take a big of a hit as I would of thought in terms of losing people, actually was looking pretty decent up until the past couple of years (hospital probably a factor there).  Very few counties this side of Roanoke to gain in population. 

http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk

• 2 weeks later...

The Scott County school board is having a special called meeting today at 1:00 pm to discuss teaching and coaching hires for next school year, may or may not here something today, but they are having a meeting. I was told by a parent of a player that the interviews started yesterday. Information (rumors) have dried up to a trickle considering all the stuff that was out there two weeks ago.