Former olympian skater living penniless

This story is sad to read--not because she is a penniless Olympian, hard times can fall on people, but wondering what are the other factors behind this story.   

What I am going to share is from a Christian perspective, because but for the "grace of God it could be me."  The other day someone shared with me they had a close individual going through a difficult situation.  I prayed with the individual and then later on in the week, the Lord began to open my heart to there being three keys that would transform the situation.

The first key is a returning.  This we like, it requires nothing from us, easy and effortless.  If you have lost something or someone, it is your desire or goal to have it returned. .  On the surface that seems good, but, what is lost/gone could happen again if the second key isn't done.

The second key is a repentance, not a word that is accepting in today's culture.  A saying I'm sorry, is okay, but this,  a no-no, to hard, don't ask, can't do, won't do.  The word repentance means a changing or turning away from what we have been that has created the mess.  In ourselves we may have the desire for a while to do this, but it will not last without surrendering our life and will to God.  Repentance changes us from the inside out.

The third key is restoration.  With restoration that which we had lost/was gone we now see with our heart, hold in our hand and treasure for its value

Returning doesn't show us its worth.

Repentance makes us worthy.

Restoration shows us what worth we hold.