Lebanon

NC_Coach

10 people applied for it, most notable John Adams and three from the coaching staff already there. I talked to Coach Henly and he told me some out of staters were also applying, even one from Arizona who was in the army confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think Adams will get the job. But Russell Co. is notorious in its bad decisions in hiring coaches (most notably at Honaker), so who knows who will end up getting the job!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there are so many people just lined up and waiting to come coach at Honaker. It's a shame that Russell County can't get it right.

Glad to here John Adams is getting back into coaching. I think he is a good coach but he is style of play and coaching just didnt work with the kids at Virginia High. He loves to pound it up the middle, and except for the year we had Kevin Worley at running back and won district, we never had the type of players that fitted his style of offense.

[ QUOTE ]

Well I wasn't talking about hiring in football. I was mostly talking about girls sports. We hire coaches most of the time that don't even teach.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. Since Hubbard's been there since Methusaleh was a child, I wondered where you might be coming from.

Boys's hoops coach seems like a good one (and he started out coaching the girls). Then again, I'm probably biased since he is a friend of mine.

I like Coleman pretty good. But its a shame Jeff Hawkins got ran off to John Battle. Thats usually what happens to the coaches at Honaker, parents start rattling their sabres because so and so isn't playing and there you go, coach is gone next year. I've always heard Hubbard was gonna step down when his son gets in high school.

Hub has a good program going, I would hope he wouldnt step down to avoid"he is only playin that kid because it's his son" take it from me. Coaches are tougher on their son then any other player.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, andm e playing for him, this is likely our last really good year. This year we will rely on the run alot, but if we do throw we can. Just finding quality OT's and defense is the main thing we need.

• 1 month later...

Weightlifting started this week, with alot of up-and coming freshman and sophmores out. Now, some of the upper classmen play other sports, so it is a pretty good turnout. I caught a ride home with Coach Adams, and he told me we would use the option some and run a 5-3 most of the time. He seems like a good coach, but I haven't seen him mad yet, so maybe I should wait and see if he is an excellent coach. Also, for the second week of practice he is taking the players to a college for the 2-a days. He seems really motivated to keep this tradition of good records alive. Also, some lower classmen to watch out for are: Freddie Hafley (HB and S), Richard Lockridge(LB and QB/WR), and Brandon Phillips(o-line and d-line). All will be sophmores next year, but they all three should be a sophmore this year. The guys to watch out for skill-wise are Kynan Massie(LB/HB), Ryan Carlock(HB/FB/LB), Zac Jesse(QB/CB/S). The lineman to watch for is Zack Lambert(Left guard and LB) and Josh Dye(Center and DE). The team is starting to take form, and I believe we can go 7-3 or better. The main teams to play are (in order of toughest to least) Richlands, George Wythe and Tazwell/ Honaker (we will beat on of the last two teams.)Any comments?