The Hokie recruiting class is scary good folks...

Two more recruits, Hivera Green and Cordarrow Thompson, committed to Tech today. Green is a huge get because the Hokies went into South Carolina and pulled him away from both Clemson and South Carolina. The Hokies also picked up a commitment from Virginia prospect Greg Boone last Friday. The incoming class next fall is loaded with talent and potential. The future just gets brighter and brighter for Hokie football.

[ QUOTE ]

Two more recruits, Hivera Green and Cordarrow Thompson, committed to Tech today. Green is a huge get because the Hokies went into South Carolina and pulled him away from both Clemson and South Carolina. The Hokies also picked up a commitment from Virginia prospect Greg Boone last Friday. The incoming class next fall is loaded with talent and potential. The future just gets brighter and brighter for Hokie football.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just hope they can play well with others. This past season in comparison to 2003 was proof enough to me that we can do without some of the "blue chippers."

[ QUOTE ]

One thing i knoticed about the virginia tech game last night was that they had 3 quick fouls in the first few minutes. This could cause some propblems down the road against teams that if you make one mistake then your out of it against em'

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they r talking about football dude

[ QUOTE ]

One thing i knoticed about the virginia tech game last night was that they had 3 quick fouls in the first few minutes. This could cause some propblems down the road against teams that if you make one mistake then your out of it against em'

[/ QUOTE ]

Most teams will have problems with officiating as one-sided as last night's exhibition. I honestly didn't expect Tech to win, but Duke Edsall and his mates ought to be ashamed of themselves for that performance.

BTW, we were talking about football recruiting here. cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they r talking about football dude

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd think the last two words of the post would have given that away huh? lol

RICHMOND (AP) - Virginia Tech loaded up with commitments from 24 high school stars on national signing day Wednesday, and Virginia got letters of intent from 22 blue-chippers.

On the first day for high school players to officially declare their collegiate destinations, head coaches Frank Beamer of the Hokies and Al Groh of the Cavaliers said their classes filled roster needs that were targeted when the recruiting began.

"Before the season started, we put down a number that we planned to recruit at each position, and we came very close to matching numbers exactly," Beamer said.

"It wasn't just, 'Hey, let's run out there and gather players,"' Groh said. "There was a specific model in general and by position that we were trying to work toward and we feel very confident that we were able to stay to that model."

Experts figured the Hokies did just a little bit better overall.

Virginia Tech's class was rated as high as No. 10 nationally by recruiting services, in part because it included Victor "Macho" Harris, a running back from Highland Springs High School in Richmond, and 6-foot linebacker Deveon Simmons of Landstown in Virginia Beach. In all, the Hokies signed 16 players from Virginia.

"I've always said if we get the best kids in the state of Virginia, we will always be able to compete at a high level," Beamer said, repeating an annual refrain.

Harris, 6-0 and 180 pounds, will move to cornerback with the Hokies.

Other state players who signed with Virginia Tech included running back Elan Lewis of Phoebus High School in Hampton, the career rushing leader in Virginia in the Group AAA classification, and 6-4 quarterback Greg Boone of Oscar Smith High in Chesapeake.

Outside Virginia, the Hokies' biggest catches were 6-4 quarterback Ike Whitaker from Germantown, Md., and 6-5, 258-pound defensive lineman Hivera Green from Conway, S.C.

For Virginia, the biggest and smallest players on the list were most notable.

Eugene Monroe, a 6-6, 318-pound offensive lineman from South Plainfield, N.J., was rated as high as the No. 2 prospect in the country for all positions by some services.

"He's something special. He's a tremendous kid. He's got great ambition, a great personal sense of direction. He knows where he wants to go. He's got a real plan for it," Groh said. "He's very light on his feet, very athletic for his position."

Groh said he expects Monroe to challenge for playing time right away.

The Cavaliers also signed 5-9, 168-pound quarterback Vic Hall from Gretna, a double threat who erased many of Ronald Curry's records during his four-year career.

"He had a dynamic career and it wasn't just in his performance. He's shown great, great poise and a calmness under pressure and the ability to perform well in big games, which is something that everybody wants in their quarterback," Groh said.

The Cavaliers signed 12 players from Virginia and four from New Jersey, an area Groh got to know well during a decade of coaching in the National Football League.

"That 95-New Jersey Turnpike corridor was very fruitful for us, as we hoped that it would be," Groh said. "We really did set out to work that area very aggressively."

Besides Monroe, the Cavaliers' class features several other mammoth linemen: 6-7, 310-pound Branden Albert of Glen Burnie, Md., and Hargrave Military Academy; 6-7, 276-pound Will Barker of Bryn Mawr, Pa.; 6-7, 251-pound tight end or defensive end Alex Field of Broad Run High in Ashburn; and 6-6 tight end John Phillips of Bath County.

"Nature's going to tell us what they are," Groh said of several of the players whose ultimate position will be determined by how they respond to weight training.

There was one downside to the day from Beamer's perspective.

Jonathan Hannah, a 6-4, 251-pound tight end, had made a verbal commitment to Virginia Tech last week, but instead committed to South Carolina on Wednesday,

Beamer said the practice of some programs continuing to recruit players even after they have made verbal commitments elsewhere is disturbing and distasteful.

"All that happens is, once they commit, all the other people that want to keep recruiting him, now they know who the target is and so, all of a sudden, the schools are trying to put doubt in the mind about one particular school," Beamer said.

"I don't think it's right. I don't think we as football coaches should be going around trying to get people to break their word to other schools."

Yeah I was about to say anyone notice that the TE from South Carolina wasn't on the recruiting page. I'm kind of disappointed 2 I wanted to see him play for Tech now all we got ouf of this class is Ed Wang.

We got a LOT more than Ed Wang, and don't sell Wang short. Honestly, we're pretty solid at TE with both Duane Brown and Maurice Reevey being freshmen. So if Hannah was going to play TE at Tech his loss, while disappointing, doesn't mean the end of the world.

[ QUOTE ]

I think that this coming season is going to be a

re-building year for WVU and Tech. Im not saying that Tech isn't going to be good. I just don't think they will be up there in the top 10

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT??? Are you serious? Tech is already top five in many pre-preseason polls. There will be no rebuilding year in Blacksburg, that's what this past year was suppose to be.

The Hokies return all their receivers, all their running backs, three starting offensive linemen, and two of their top three TEs. Plus, Marcus Vick should move under center to replace Bryan Randall.

Defensive they return three of the four defensive linemen, the two best LBs and add another stud in Andrew Bowman at LB, and their best cover corner is back in Jimmy Williams.

You couldn't be more right about Vick, one more problem and he's done for good at Tech. However, there is no denying the kid's talent and ability. Honestly, he's a much better passer right now than Michael was at this stage. He looked brilliant in the Spring Game last April, not only throwing, but running as well. He spent all of the fall in Atlanta working out with Mike and some QB coaches to improve his game. I believe Marcus Vick is going to explode onto the college scene this fall and take VT far.

I'm not Selling Wang short,but I just think Hannah could have been a big impact player either on Offense or Defense.I do like Techs 2 new Qb recruits alot ones 6'4 240 i think kinda reminds me of Dante Culpepper.

Wang isn't going to play TE anyway. He's pegged for OT. Hannah is a big loss in terms of his potential, but if he isn't sure where he wants to play, he's better off in SC with a guy who isn't sure where he wants to coach.

Like Bluefield Rules said, if MV2 gets in trouble again he's gone. But if he stays out of trouble he will be every bit as awesome as his brother. Bryan Randall will be missed, he's one of my all-time favorite Hokies, but if Vick had kept his nose clean, he, not Randall would have been the ACC POY. He was far and away the better QB in the 2004 spring game and would have been the starter against USC in the opener. He might be a step slower than his brother but he has the same uncanny elusiveness, and the same howitzer attached to his shoulder, but has better touch on his passes and is more willing to stand in the pocket and find an open receiver.

As for a rebuilding year? Heck no! VT will be the odds on favorite to win the ACC, and like BF said, they are already on many early top-5 lists. If Frank Beamer ever wins a National Championship, next year will be his first best shot.

I don't know. I still like to differ, in my opinion I don't think Tech will be as great as a team you are talking about. I say they lose 2 games next season and make a decent bowl game. I say give it 2 more years for TECH to be back in for competiting for the Title