grundy vs. martinsville

Grundy_30

The Patrick County team you're talking about was indeed a "once in a lifetime" team - especially for them. Most of those young men had played together since 5th or 6th grade. Their coach, Bob Burnette, is now a referee. But those days are long gone for the GREEN and GOLD. Whoever is in charge of their elementary program refuses to strip the teams of its talented players and allow them to play strictly tournament ball. And the population base keeps shrinking as there is very industry to draw any families there. And the main emphasis in their sports program is baseball. I thought Marion was more talented athletically than Patrick County. By the way, does anyone know how Zach Boyette is doing? He may have broken his nose last night when it inadvertenly met up with Beamer's elbow. By the way, guys, Marion stayed in a zone the whole night - a 2-3 zone. Does that answer your questions?

The referee from Marion's district - Chuck Starnes - made the remark after the game that he felt as if he had been on a treadmill for an hour and a half. The lead official had asked him if he had brought his running shoes before the game started.

[ QUOTE ]

It was 99 G-Man, the year after Magna Vista won the state championship. PC had a very good team that year,won the district then went on and lost to Grundy on the same night that MV lost to Gate City (in the infamous Coach Johnson goes beserk game at Gate City). Also Grundy beat MV the following year at Grundy(2000) by about 10 or so points, maybe a few more. It wasn't because MV panicked though, Grundy just had a better team. We didn't have but about 3 kids who could score and should have never made the regionals anyway,we upset Fieldale-Coll. in the Pied. tourney. Also Grundy had a gaurd that night who scored 30 some points, he couldn't miss! You will be getting a different animal in this Martinsville team. They beat some quality teams this year(Franklin Co.,G-W Danville,Patrick Henry,Tunstall 3 times) so they are battle tested. Went last night to the Marion game and they played the Dogs zone the entire game and Mavahi just toyed with them. Could have scored 120 if they had made their layups. So good luck Grundy, if you don't believe me call ole Crigger down here at MV and ask him, he'll be throwing BP today at about 4:00!!

[/ QUOTE ]

From the tapes we watched of MV they had a very team..and a very talented player(excellent slasher)...we definitely played an awesome game that night..and the kid you're thinking about goin off was Gary Holland..he was untouchable that night..

Marion did stay in a 2-3 the entire game but 80 percent of the Bulldogs points came on the break. The pressure D killed Marion as they tried to dribble through the press instead of passing the ball. Marion had 7 missed lay ups in the 1st quarter alone.

Their coach said he felt that he had no choice but to stay in the zone but I think he didn't have any idea WHAT to do. We do a lot of drills for conditioning throughout the season; in fact, we ran up and down the court for almost two hours tonight.

It was nice to meet Tigh and talk with him about the game. I understand your frustration and wish there was someway I could help. I shook hands with Jimmy Ashby after the game and told him that I thought he had a great game against us. I saw a couple of guys that I thought would make good "fit" with us but I realize their hearts belong to Grundy.

G-man, I and b-ballnut would have liked to made your acquaintance but there is Abingdon Saturday.