BDD

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Out of the 4 teams in the BDD what order do you pick them in the Preseason?

If the coaching situations get settled good in Hurley and TV, I think both would have a good chance against Haysi (we all know Haysi loses a lot, but Hurley and TV are going to be returning a lot of Juniors and Seniors who have played 2 and 3 years of Varsity).

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Alot of rumors is going around about the coaching situation. I dont think that they are too many ppl that hasent heard them.Most of the talk is about the head coaching situation, at least thats whats being told. Coach Marcus Stiltner will return if the head coach hire's him back. Arvil Quinley should return as Off. Cordinator, Travis Quinley should be returning as QB coach and D Backs coach, Greg Tester will be returning back as RB's coach and LB's coach, John Potter should be returnig as a Lineman Coach with Coach Stiltner. The biggest talk is about the head coaching position, but they are no fact behind it. Just have to wait and see.

Everyone's heard that almost every year, and Hurley is always a 2nd rate team. When will it actually happen? You all sound like John Battle every year, optimism is great and all, but its time to back up what you say!

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Im not for sure about the exact order, but here are the teams. Unaka (home) Montcalm (home) Thomas Walker (not sure) Big Creek (home) Ervinton (home) Castlewood (not sure) Tug Valley (away) Haysi (home) Honaker (away) Twin Valley (away. Im not going to say we will go 10-0, but by the way everyone is working beating Haysi isnt out of the question we held them to 7 points until 1:50 befor halftime when they scored again. And they had Colley and all the other starters that was exeptionaly good. We only lose 3 this year. If we even do finish thrid this season it wouldnt a shocker because in the last few years we havent really been a great contender. PPL talk about us have no body's on our schedule well ill hate to admit it, but when was the last time we were great? I do belive we can beat Haysi and make the Playoff's. My prediction on the season is 7-3 and I get that from the possible loses to Honaker Haysi and maybe Unaka becasue I looked it up that they return 15 starters on Off. and Def.

The starting 11 for Hurley can compete with any school in the BDD. The problem for Hurley is their lack of 2nd string. Most of the season last year Hurley played with 14 to 15 players. Take any other school in SWVA cut their roster to 15 and see how many games they win. At the worst, Hurley should have went 6-4 last year but Hurley has been in a habit of losing and have struggled to find a way to win. Good teams always find a way to win, no matter if their down by 13 points with 7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Good teams find a way to win. I personally think it's great Hurley is starting to believe in themselves and hopefully that attitutude will carry though next season. Hurley did not believe they could win last year, they didn't trust their coaches and they didn't trust their teammates. If Hurley believes in theirselves and their coaches then I would expect nothing less than a 7-3 regular season and a chance to play for the region title. If hurley does that and they get a few more players on the field to give them a look during practice and special teams then I seriously believe the BDD championship will be up for grabs near the 8th or 9th week of the season. Good luck to you Rebels!!!!! Beleive in yourself and your team and you will be surprised about what you can accomplish.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

We belive this year. Not like prior years when all we were was cocky. All the 11 starters of this upcomming season already have at least 2 years of varsity experience. Right now we have about 15 in the weightroom working hard and hopfully those numbers increase the closer the season gets here. We will have the line and the coach to help the top returning RB in the BDD in Shane Justice. I cant wait to see what Coach Stiltner comes up with to help Justice run all over teams this year. Not only will Stilner's ablility to coach and help the line understand the game make Justice stand out but all the other backs this year. And all of us will step up and play like champions. Quinley's smarts as Off. Cordinator will be built around Justice, but that will open it up for all the backs. Let's put the numbers up this year insted of just talk. It takes a team that has heart and this years rebels have it.

I remember the two years Appy beat us, they did so without a good 2nd string. Same thing for Rural Retreat. Most D1 schools face the problem of not having an adequate 2nd string and some are still cometitive with larger D2 teams. And I'll never forget that whale of an upset Norhtwood pulled against Lebanon in '03. To say that Hurley can't hang with most teams because they don't have a good 2nd string isn't exactly true. If a team has a talented 1st string like you say, then they should be able to at least hang with the better teams they play. You all couldn't even beat Unaka last year, or Big Creek or Tug Valley for that matter. Heck, Twin Valley beat you guys and they have the same lack of depth that you all have

I'm not going to get in to this argument with you and the depth situation. There are exceptions, and what we call upsets, but as a general rule more depth = more wins. If you dont agree then you obviously dont know football...

If you all don't even have a 2nd string(I haven't seen Hurley play in about 3 years), then it seems to me like the coaches and admin need to do a better job promoting the team. If you guys barely have enough to field a team year in and year out then theres got to be some underlying problems besides just the team not doing well year in and year out. Hurley has nearly 200 kids in its school, that should be enough for at least a 2nd string. Apparently its lack of interest more than anything.

The coaches and administrators can't do all that much when there is only 100-120 kids in the entire school. You know how it is, some kids are just to lazy to play, and then some have jobs. Take that number out of around 50-60 boys, and you get in the same situation that Hurley has. They are doing good to go 5-5 or if they go 7-3...It is tough to do good on Friday nights when you can't play agaisnt a good scout team all week. Honaker might have 40-50 guys out playing, but probably 15-20 is all that plays on a given night. It is the same basically everywhere else. The coaches put out the best kids, and they do their job. But if 15-20 is all you have, wouldn't it be kind of tough to win games?

But then again, you gotta think. On most single A teams, Div 1, or Div. 2 there usually is only 15-20 kids that gets to play on a given night(unless you are playing a team far below your level and then maybe you would let like your JV team play the 2nd half or something like that) anyway. Take those 15-20 kids out, I don't care if its Honaker, Richlands, Lebanon, Gate City, Graham, Grundy, whoever, its going to be hard to win games against tougher opponents. Look at what happened to Honaker against Tazewell last season. We had 9 starters out and had to play with mostly JV players. But we only lost by a TD. Wonder what the outcome of that game would have been if we had all our starters in and not suspended? If Hurley isn't getting all their good athletes to come out, then theres gotta be something going on. But if they do, then maybe the problem lies in talent or in coaching.

I don't think the problem lies in the skill positions talent or the coaching, if you look, Shane Justice is one of the best backs in the BDD. Issac Stacy is a good QB also. The problem lies in the lack of depth. Especially for the linemen. Coach Stiltner will tell you this, if you don't have a scout team line and LB's to give you looks on the different fronts and such, you are in trouble. You can tell a kid who to block, but unless he is doing it live, it will kill you. You can sit here and preach that any team could do it with 15-20 kids, true, we made it to the state semifinals in 2002 with 26 kids, but we always had a full scout team. That scout team will help you out in leaps and bounds.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Hey hhstigerfan! Whats your prob. anyway? It's not like u see us throwing off on Honaker. Yes Honaker is a good team and so is Haysi. Twin Valley may have the same dept as us, but did you see us say anything about them? Lets see Honaker have 14 players and win the BDD!

I wasn't being a prick. sheesh. Its a message board, don't take things so personally! Whats the point on talking on here if no one ever throws out any opposing opinions? I don't think I ever even mentioned Honaker except in a post about who I thought would win the BDD and the post about depth.