Bluefield 74, Summers County 56

Bluefield_Rules

Bluefield (19-5) advances to the state tournament in Charleston next week and will play in the quarterfinals at some point on Thursday. Special thanks to beaverbaseball for updates throughout the game.

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/03/10/sports/02thubluefield.txt

Beavers skin Bobcats for regional title

Posted: Wednesday, Mar 09, 2005 - 11:43:47 pm EST

By BOB REDD

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PRINCETON - Pack the suitcase and crank up the bus, the Bluefield Beavers are heading to Charleston.

The Beavers are going to the W.Va. boys state tournament for the second consecutive season and the 10th time in 12 years after defeating the Summers County Bobcats 74-56 in the Class AA Region VII championship game Wednesday night at Princeton Senior High School.

"I'm proud of them. I don't know if there is a word that can describe how I feel about these guys," said BHS Head Coach Ernie Gilliard.

"It was a tremendous effort. We worked hard all week, we were focused and came out and did a super, super job. I couldn't be any more proud of them than I am right now."

While the Beavers came away with an 18 point win, things were not so definite early in the game as both teams scrapped and exchanged the lead.

Summers County grabbed the 4-3 lead before Bluefield reeled off nine unanswered, including two treys by Johnathon Repass to take a 12-4 advantage with 2:38 to play in the opening frame.

The Beavers, countering the Bobcats' height advantage, played with three of its big men in the game at once, Rusty Coeburn, Bradley Cosby and Tremayne Matthews, during the stretch it took the lead. That lineup worked and sparked Bluefield to a 14-11 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Neither team could put the basket through the hoop in the second, you could call it good defense, or poor shooting, depending upon how you viewed the action.

"I thought both teams played poorly in the first half and I thought whichever team could put together three or four good minutes could win the game," said Summers County Head Coach James "Pistol" Payne.

"They took control of the game and that's what happened."

Bluefield's man defense shut down the Bobcats and the Cats scrappy play kept the Beavers on their heels. At the midway point of the quarter Bluefield had scored only two points on one basket and Summers had scored three, all from the charity stripe.

Bobcat Jason Zimmerman tied the game at 16 with 2:45 to play and he again drew his team even at 20 with two free throws with a minute to go. The teams went to halftime knotted at 20.

"We went in and talked about the opportunities we had blown in the first half," Gilliard said. "We had a little lead and we tried to force some things. We just told them if we got those same opportunities in the second half, we would make the best of them and the kids did that."

Bluefield broke the tie but Summers retook the lead midway through the third quarter, but it took only one minute of clock time for Bluefield to make its move.

The Beaver defense stepped up, fed the offense and moved out to a 33-27 lead with 3:10 showing on the third quarter clock. The Bluefield lead grew to 13 and the Beavers were ahead 40-27 going into the final eight minutes of action.

The Bluefield lead would grow as high as 15 before Summers rallied back and Joey Gills basket with 3:10 to play cut the Bluefield lead to nine, 59-50.

But Bluefield again pulled away, finished the game on a 15-6 run to claim the regional championship with the 74-56 win.

Maurice Jordan led the Beavers with 23 points, 18 coming in the fourth quarter. Dexter Moore tallied 17 and Johnathon Repass 14.

Zimmerman led Summers County with a game-high 28 points, 20 coming in the fourth quarter. Justin Bennett added 11 and Blace Hutchins 10 .

"Zimmerman is a heck of a player," Payne said. "I have five seniors and this is the best team we've had in a while...but obviously we got outplayed tonight."

Bluefield will begin state tournament play next Thursday at the Charleston Civic Center. Seedings and matchups will be announced at 11 a.m. Friday.

At Princeton Senior High School

Bluefield (19-5)....................14 6 20 34 - 74

Summers County (14-11)....11 9 7 29 - 56

BHS - Maurice Jordan 23, Rusty Coeburn 5, Bradley Cosby 3, Johnathon Repass 14, Dexter Moore 17, Tremayne Matthews 8, Jonathan Payne 2, Jordan Manns 2.

SCHS - Blace Hutchins 10, Bobby Muncy 5, Jason Zimmerman 28, Justin Bennett 11, Joey Gills 2.

Here are some numbers:

FT

Bluefield 20-37

Summers Co. 21-27

Leading Scorers for Bluefield:

Maurice Jordan - 24 (All in 2nd half)

Dexter Moore - 18

Johnathan Repass - 14

Bluefield played well tonight but much like they did with Pikeview, they allowed SC to stay in the game too long. They missed alot of easy lay-ups and committed thoughtless turnovers. Summers Co. also ran the high pick and roll effectively a good portion of the night and Bluefield finally caught on after they got 6-7 lay-ups. Eliminate the mental mistakes or it might be a short stay in Charleston.

Hey its about time our student section can actually call themselves a student section....lol....i hope u all liked my free throw at the end of the game, i gave summers something to cheer about. oh well time to get ready for whoevers next.

its ok i just waved at them and our fans supported me and shut them up so its all good, i knew i was goin to do that once before the year was up, had to be in the regional champinship....lol, oh well i know my role on the team and its not a scoring threat...lol

haha u forgot a fouling machine too...lol...jk

yea but i doubt the weather will be nice enough to try the field up, but its not like any other teams can do much better ether so we r on the same boat.

C-Perry

1b-Browing

2b-Ryan

SS-Rusty(U)

3b-Josh S, Ben G, Dobbins(I can't really pick one there)

And in the outfield I can't even make a prediction who will be starting lol

You gotta pick between Keczan, Seth, Nick, Perdue, Mike D, Jake S and I might be forgetting someone

Starting pitchers should be the same as last season.

Why isn't Daniel playing?

If Beaver 7 is truly Rusty Coeburn then I'd like to say I admire the way you play the game. You all out hustle every second you're on the floor and you do a LOT of the dirty work inside required for a team to win. Moore and Repass might score most of the points, but IMO you just might be the most important player out there. Congratulations on another regional title and best of luck up state.

BTW: Please rub off on Tremayne Matthews between now and next season...lol wink.gif