Major League Soccer Season 10 First Kick

BarraBrava99

Saturday, APRIL 2nd @ 3:00PM on ABC (no satellite/cable TV required!) Defending 2004 MLS Cup Champs D.C. United travel to L.A. to face the new expansion club CD Chivas USA. Should be an easy win for DCU grin.gif. It should be a good year for MLS w/ 2 new expansions teams (CD Chivas USA; ReAl Salt Lake) not to mention world cup qualifying will be going on for the Nats. The MLS All-Star game should be good, too. The all-star team will face Fulham FC (home of Brian McBride and Carlos Bocanegra) of the Premiership. Six more days until season 10 kick off!!!

I think we're going to see a new champion this year, a team that's never lifted the cup before, say FC Dallas or New England. I'd love for DC to repeat, which I beleieve is possible but not likely, though I don't think it will happen because of the loss of Ryan Nelsen. I say either FC Dallas, LA, New England or Colorado (surprise). I also can't wait to see how the Metrostars do with Youri Djourkaef in the squad. He's the biggest name the league has gotten in awhile, although the real question is: Is he here to play and contribute? or is he here just to get a paycheck without giving anything in return a la Lothar Matheus & Luis Hernandez?

Great for MLS, maybe not so great for United States or Donovan. I'd rather see our national team boys getting time and experience overseas in Europe, not in MLS. Don't get me wrong, I love our league, but the truth is it's better overseas, the players are better over there and the game is better over there. I wish he'd stay put in Europe, if not with Leverkusen then with another club.

at least now we get to see him.

he and all the other young stars need to stay and build up united states soccer so maybe one day it can compare with the european leagues.

That is the one good thing about having him back in MLS, we get to see him, but Europe is the only way to go for our young guys if the United States is to get better. Just look at Mexico for a perfect example. One of the reasons the USA has owned Mexico in the last few years is because we have more guys playing overseas than they do. Only a couple of their players are found in leagues other than their own Mexican league. Don't get me wrong, I love the MLS and will support it to the day I die, but MLS still has a LONG way to go. We are getting there, though.

[ QUOTE ]

maybe he can set an example for the best to stay here and attract other countries best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like where you're going with this, but the fact is it will take a heck of alot more to attract the best players from other countries than Landon Donovan. Or look at it this way: Given the choice would you rather play in Europe with the best teams, players, and fans in the world AND get paid a couple million a year or so? -OR- would you rather play in MLS whose top pay is around $500,000 a year (to a 15 year-old) in a country that barely knows it even has a professional soccer league? That's being very harsh to MLS, which I love, but's the cold hard truth. MLS has gotten many great players from across the pond, though maybe they weren't David Beckhams or Dennis Bergkamps, we have had the likes of players such as Hristo Stoitchkov (World Cup MVP '94), Hong Myung Bo (I think that's how the name goes crazy.gif ) (Captain of South Korea's World Cup 2002 squad), etc. The best thing about MLS, though, is the talent it has found in other places with guys who normally wouldn't get a shot elsewhere, but have really delivered the goods. Guys like Carlos Ruiz, Edson Buddle, Christian Gomez, Stern John (who is now playing in England). MLS is headed in the right direction, though. Maybe in the next generation of sports fans in this country we'll see enough interest and $ put into the beautiful game that the Becks' and Zidanes of tomorrow will give our league a try before they're beyond their prime.

ok..but now we have gotten Landon Donovan and Clint Mathis back. sice they are here..other young stars should want to stay. All im saying is, Landon is a fitting beginning for the takeoff of the MLS. I think that maybe with the next generation, that all USU MNT players will stay in the US and play for the MLS. Then we could attract the worlds best. Donovan and Mathis provide a great start. I already miss Beasly. How about Claudio Reyna finishing his career in the mls??

[ QUOTE ]

I already miss Beasly. How about Claudio Reyna finishing his career in the mls??

[/ QUOTE ]

It's certainly possible. I know that if Seattle ever gets a MLS club Kasey Keller will be there in a heartbeat. Regardless of whether that happens in Seattle, I still think we'll see Kasey Keller somewhere in the league before hanging up his gloves. The same goes for Claudio Reyna i think. I just hate to see guys who've made the commitment to go to Europe and have the potential to really make a name for themselves, and American players in general, over there and then come back so soon. i feel as though there was alot they left unfulfilled, you could say. I miss Beasley, too. But I'm so happy to see him kicking tail in Holland for PSV (who are still in the Champions League I believe grin.gif ). ...Which reminds me: DC 2:0 Chivas USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!

[ QUOTE ]

it dosent matter with our without Dovan galaxys going to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like they did in Columbus on Saturday wink.gif haha! I'm guessing you're a Galaxy fan? Seriously, though, with the squad they have there's no reason they couldn't be successful this year. ...as long as it's not against DC. grin.gif

CONCACAF Champions Cup

DC United(USA) 1:1 UNAM Pumas(MEX)

Christian Gomez scored off a header from a Jaime Moreno cross 10 minutes in, but Pumas tied the match in the second half on a penalty kick mad.gif DC had the Mexican club on it's heels for the last 10 minutes or so of the match, but, despite several chances, DC just couldn't find a winner.

im thinking Real Salt Lake will do pretty good for its first year and players will always go overseas to play i whish more of our national team players played in the EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, etc cause the MLS just dosent have the leval of play they need

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I just didn't want to make a new one, and now that the season is in full swing maybe it will generate some activity here, but anyway...

U.S. international Eddie Lewis had his appendix removed on Saturday, ending his season. His club, Preston North End, is currently in the English 1st division in fourth place fighting for a spot in the Premier League next season.

How crappy is that to have your season ended by a bursting appendix??? Premier League promotion battle - come on Preston and Reading!!!