BHC Article on Heath Miller

hhstigerfan

Miller expected to be selected in first round Saturday

BY BRIAN WOODSON

Bristol Herald Courier

Apr 21, 4:00 AM EDT

Heath Miller scored 41 points in a basketball game - as a first-grader. Miller was an All-Star quarterback in a fourth and fifth-grade football league - as a second-grader. When a collection of adults would get together for pick-up basketball, Miller would also play - and he was only a third-grader.

The stories of Miller and his athletic prowess while growing up in Honaker are stuff of legends. He added more chapters as a record-breaking tight end at the University of Virginia, and hopes to do the same in the National Football League. He is expected to be selected in the first round of Saturday’s NFL Draft.

Miller first walked onto the football field as a second grader, where Danny Miller coached the Swords Creek Cougars behind the elementary school that Heath attended.

"Heath came down every day to my practices and you could see that he wanted to play some football," said Miller, who isn’t related to Heath. "Finally, I took him and went to talk his mommy about letting him play."

With a promise that Miller wouldn’t allow her son to get hurt, Heath Miller’s football career began. Danny Miller had two teams, and Heath played on the "B" team, serving as quarterback for a group of fourth and fifth graders.

"He ran the team. The kid impressed me from day one," Miller said. "From the first time I saw that kid I knew he could play ball, and I really realized he would be where he’s at today.

"Heath had the smarts. He was a very intelligent kid, he was athletic, and he had the desire to be the best at anything he did, and he was probably one of the kids who was the most hard on himself."

For five years, Miller directed the Cougars, although as a seventh-grader he was too big for the backfield and had to play offensive line. He also thrived in basketball and baseball, where he pitched his team to the District 11 Little League championship.

"He was just exceptional at everything he did," Miller said. "He’s also one of the hardest working kids I’ve ever dealt with. He really wanted to be perfect at everything he did."

When current athletic director Trevor Coleman arrived at Honaker as Miller was entering the eighth grade, he heard about this phenom, but didn’t realize just how good he could be.

"I don’t know that I realized the amount of potential he had, but I knew he could be a great one for a small town like ours," Coleman said. "I’m not sure I thought he could be a potential first-round draft choice, but I knew he was a great athlete for this level. He could do so many things in every sport."

Miller was promoted from the eighth grade football team to junior varsity, and continued to thrive no matter the sport. Coleman said Miller became a good enough basketball player to play Division I, while Honaker baseball coach Tom Harding has called Miller the best prospect he’s seen in more than 30 years in the dugout.

"I taught him in P.E., and he was always heads and shoulders above everybody else," Coleman said. "It could be badminton, kickball, basketball, anything he played, he was just solid and a dominating player."

Varsity football finally arrived for Miller as a freshman, but two days before the season’s first game, he was hit during a non-contact drill and broke his throwing arm.

Miller returned as a sophomore, started for three years at quarterback and safety, earned All-State recognition on offense and defense, led Honaker to a state championship game, and developed the skills that allowed him to sign a Division I scholarship with Virginia.

"As you watched him, you definitely knew he had the potential to become a good ball player," Honaker head football coach Doug Hubbard said. "By the end of his sophomore year, he had grown so well with his fundamentals and techniques and he was so coachable that you knew if his size came around, he would have a chance to play some major college football."

While Miller went to Virginia as a quarterback, he never played a down at that position for the Cavaliers. While he did throw a touchdown pass on a trick play as a redshirt freshman, Miller sat out his first season, made the transition to tight end and became the nation’s best at that position.

"We knew he could play several different positions. We knew that if he wasn’t going to play quarterback that he wouldn’t sit on the bench," Hubbard said. "We had talked about that and we knew he had the size, athletic ability and physical toughness.

"We always knew he had great hands, so we felt that tight end might be a good spot for him if he didn’t wind up at quarterback. They made a good choice, he made a good choice and it has worked out really well for him."

And, not just for him. No matter whether it was the Swords Creek Cougars, the Honaker Tigers or the Virginia Cavaliers. Miller has been part of a lot of wins. Danny Miller thinks Miller’s next coach is in for the same.

"Whoever coaches him, they’re going to win because he’s a winner. I believe anybody can take that boy and win with him," Miller said. "Everybody that has coached him has won with him. He’s just a kid who is a winner all the way around."

Miller expected to be selected in first round Saturday

• 2 weeks later...

well, i was at the draft party that had the BHC there and we sat there for atleast 7 and a half hours waiting for him to be picked. when seattle and oakland picked everyone in the room was hoping he wouldnt go there becuase of the long ride. lol. so we are all happy that he went to pittsburgh. it is short enough to drive and get about 2 or 3 tickets a year. cant wait till nfl season, it will be cold down in pittsburgh but i think we will be alright. just wanted to clarify that heath is not currently working with the team due to his surgery, cowher said that he should be 100% by june or july. plus, i think it is the best place he could go, they are a young team that needed one main position, that was tight end. i hope he can get a big ring his first year and be one of the ones to help get it. Ben Rothlisburger welcomed heath to the team just the other day and is hoping that heath will be a guy to go and get a five yard grab down the middle or something. also, they asked heath if he asked big ben if he was hoping to get alot of the passes and he said that it dont really matter just whatever he can do to help win. if he has to block for them to win, he will. if he has to catch for them to win, he will. i cant wait till i can get his jersey and wear it around laugh.gif that is just an update as cowher said he was currently 85-95% healthy already after the surgery, so he shoule be good to go soon.