Dexter Moore wins the BDT Player of the Year Award

Bluefield_Rules

Congrats to Moore on winning the award. Bluefield sweeps the BDT awards for the year with Moore joining Rusty Coeburn, whom won the football POY.

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/04/29/sports/01fribanquet.txt

Moore, Smith and Wright top players

Posted: Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 - 11:49:47 pm EDT

By JAMIE HUFFMAN

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

GLENWOOD - Bluefield's Dexter Moore, Bland County's Tonya Wright and Wyoming East's Cassidy Smith took home top honors Thursday night at the Fourth Annual Bluefield Daily Telegraph/Pocahontas Coal Association basketball honors banquet at the Princeton Elks Club.

Moore, a 6-1 sophomore was named boys Player of the Year, while Wright, a junior and Smith a senior, shared the girls Player of the Year award.

Moore led the Beavers to the semi-final round of the Class AA state tournament, while averaging 18.3 points, 6.65 rebounds, 4 steals, and 3.6 assists per game.

Moore is the first sophomore to win Player of the Year since Brittany Cook of Mercer Christian won the award three seasons ago.

"It's a great honor. I won this for my teammates - they are my support and the ones who make me look good on the court.

"It's a nice reward to end the season."

Tonya Wright was named Player of the Year for the Mountain Empire district and posted averages of 21.9 points, 11.3 rebounds, 2.9 steals per game. She also shot 49.7 percent from the field.

Wright agreed that it was a nice reward for all the hard work she put into this past season.

"It's nice. I'm glad I got it."

Cassidy Smith led Wyoming East to the Class AA state tournament with 21 points, 11 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 blocks per game. Smith was a three-time Class AA first team All-State player.

"It's exciting. It is definitely unexpected, because there are so many great people here. It's just great."

Smith, who signed a letter of intent to play basketball for Concord University next year, is ready for the next phase in her career.

"It's gonna be a challenge, but I'm really looking forward to it. I really like the players and I'm excited to take it to the next level."

The Players of the Year were selected from among the Players of the Week. Four finalist were chosen for the male and female divisions. In addition to Moore the male finalists were Theo Justus of Grundy, Ben Proffitt of PikeView and O.J. Reed of Tazewell. The female finalists in addition to Wright and Smith were Amanda Meade of Princeton and Whitney Muncey of Tazewell.

Each Player of the Week received a hand-crafted trophy. Female players honored in addition to the finalists were Vanessa Adams of PikeView, Eva Grose of Montcalm, Stephanie Wallace of Bluefield, Sarah Tuggle of James Monroe and Megan Criss of Princeton.

Male players honored in addition to the finalists were Jamal Fenwick of Princeton, Eric Hoosier of Graham, Johnathon Repass of Bluefield, Matthew Parker of Mercer Christian and Michael Winfrey of Princeton.

"This was the toughest season we've had in choosing Players of the Week and Players of the Year," said Daily Telegraph Sports Editor Bob Redd. "In the past we've always had one or two players that really stood out above the rest, like Ahmad Bradshaw, Brittany Cook or Ben Shrader. This year we had a good group of balanced players in all classes and our voting on a weekly basis and for the final awards was extremely close."

Pocahontas Coal Association representative Rick Taylor agreed that the competition was tough in the voting for this year's Player of the Year.

"It was a tough decision as we had to choose from some of the area's top basketball players who were all fairly equal.

"The Pocahontas Coal Association always feels priviledged to be able to honor these athletes and work with the sports writers at the Bluefield Daily Telegraph."

- Contact Jamie Huffman

at jhuffman@bdtonline.com

haha appreciate it rock. Grats to all that was honored and those who won the POTY. Me and M. Criss have one edge over the other players just to pick at them----We're the only one to get 2 trophies!--- hahah lol just messing around. I had a enjoyable time there and was a great enviorment to be around.